On Sunday afternoon when I went back to my sewing machine I just did not feel like working on the pea green linen dress. I wanted something quick and easy. I went to the fabric collection and pulled some knits and briefly pondered making another Vogue 1250 dress. But truly I've worn that pattern out...I only want one more rendition and that should be in black...so next...
Last month I got a bunch of patterns from Sheila at Out of the Ashes. This one caught my eye when I headed back to my bedroom. It has a copyright date of 1995 and the pattern description says, "Misses Jacket & Dress close-fitting, A-line, pullover dress, above mid-knee, has short sleeves and narrow hem."
...and I thought it would look amazing in a ponte knit...specifically a grey ponte knit...or a navy blue ponte knit...and even though I knew they were in the fabric closet, I didn't feel like digging for them...so I opened the closet door and pulled the first interesting knit that I put my hands on. Seriously, that's what I did.
This ITY knit was purchased from Fabric Mart several years ago and I didn't mind sacrificing it if the pattern didn't work out.
I started with a size 22. After doing a quick tissue fit, I realized that I would need to add some in my middle section (natch!)...so I did a quick pivot and slide with the pattern on the fabric. (I will need to go back and alter the pattern now that this dress works.) Added one inch to the back pattern piece, which the instructions tell you to cut on the fold, but I decided to make a center back seam instead. Of course, my sleeves had to be enlarged because of my bodacious biceps. I also lengthened the sleeve because a cap sleeve just isn't appealing to me...and I added 3" to the hemline of the dress.
The entire dress was constructed on my serger. I used stay tape in the shoulder seams and besides the hems, this was the only time I used my sewing machine. The sleeves were inserted flat instead of in the round...and the hems were pressed flat then stitch witchery was pressed into the hems...finally the hems were topstitched with a twin needle. The neckline was pressed under 1/2" and stitched down with twin needle stitching too.
I love this dress. It has a drapey hem. It fits closely but it's not tight. It is unlined but future renditions may be. It went together really quickly and I can make it again in a variety of knits that are presently residing in the collection. The only change I will make to it is to raise the neckline about an inch.
Here it is with a cardigan:
I will definitely make more versions of this dress. I want about five of them in various colors and fabrications. They will be wonderful to wear during the transition from summer to fall...so expect to see more of them...especially since they go together in about three hours!
...as always, more later!