Since this top is shown in a tunic length, I knew it would be easy to make it into a dress. So my pattern alterations were all about lengthening the front and back pattern pieces and insuring that I had enough width through my abdomen & hip area.
front pattern alterations
back pattern alterations
I did this by using my TNT dress pattern as the basis for making the alterations, this way I knew I would have the proper fit through my challenging parts without having to jump through a lot of hoops. I know that I keep saying/writing this over and over again, but peoples it works so why should I walk away from something that works?!
The sleeves didn't need any alterations because they are wide enough through the bicep area to fit my bodacious arms. It's one of the reasons I like raglan sleeves, there is enough space in the sleeve so that I don't have to jump through hoops to make them work.
This is the fabric that I chose to use to make my version. It's a medium weight jacquard 100% polyester knit, that is very warm!
However, when cutting out the pattern pieces I didn't have enough fabric...yet again...for the cowl. Seriously, this is getting old, the fact that I'm not buying enough fabric for projects! But I had no specific garment in mind when I bought these three yards and actually thought that three yards would be more than enough for the dress...yeah right!
So halfway through the project I was trying to determine how to make this work. I finally ended up using a scrap piece of the knit. I cut it out in a variation of the cowl neck pattern that even though it's not the oversized cowl pictured on the pattern envelope, it works as you can see below...
Also the pattern calls for a seam down the front, but I put my front pattern piece on the fold. I didn't want the fabric's pattern interrupted with a seam. It just didn't seem necessary. I cut off 2.5" off the hemline of the dress. Then another 1.5" off the hemline of the sleeves. Stitch witchery was pressed into the hems and then I used a twin needle to top stitch the hems flat.
It's an easy sew. I've already worn this to work and it was comfortable and warm. It wore well and with a black cardi, it toned down some of the pattern which really made it work appropriate. I will make this again because there are so many knit fabrics in my collection that could be used for this dress.
By changing it up with some tights and shoe booties, I can wear it out with friends. It will work in a ponte knit, an ITY knit and a wool jersey or a doubleknit. I also think it will be great for most figure types, expect to see this again. It's just a fast & easy dress to sew with a lot of bang for the buck!
So some pics...
This garment was sewn last weekend. This weekend I have been laid low with the ick, and I decided to rest since I have a heavy work week ahead, as well as, a couple of social events. However, I have one more Mood project to share that I also finished last weekend and these will be the last sews for me this year.
I've decided that I'm going to give the nieces & nephews and the grandkids gift cards and flannel pjs for Christmas...so the sewing cave will become a sweatshop for Christmas presents during the next two weekends.
...as always more later!