Sunday, October 11, 2015

McCalls 7095 - A Tunic

I'm going to be honest...I've broken down and bought some ready-to-wear pieces over the last few weeks.  As much as I'd like to have a totally me-made wardrobe, I'm starting all over again and I need clothing to wear to work. I haven't purchased a lot of pieces, just a couple of things from The Avenue that have given me a little "breathing room." 


Now that I have a couple of pairs of pants and a great shirt pattern, I'm concentrating on a few more tops so enter McCalls 7095.


When I did a google search for McCalls 7095, I came upon Liza Jane's versions made earlier this summer. There are a couple of versions on PatternReview but they are all made from white lace & linen/cotton combinations...not exactly what I need headed into fall.

Instead I used this rayon challis and lacy print combo for my version...


...to wear with a pair of brown RTW ponte jeans.  I decided not to add the collar after seeing Liza Jane's versions, which I LOVE, btw! I started with a size XL because I wanted a loose fit but I didn't want it to look like I'm wearing a maternity top.

Materials ~
  • Brown/Green/Purple Paisley rayon challis from fabric.com purchased at least 10 years ago. It had marinated in the collection long enough.
  • A brown lacy knit for the yoke purchased from a now defunct online fabric store called Lucy's...about 8 years ago. This is leftover yardage which I originally used to make this dress.
  • Brown rayon bemberg lining for the yoke lining pieces.
  • Brown pleated lace with a brown satin border for the sleeve hems.

Construction ~
This is an easy sew only made complicated by the way I did things.

I left the collar off because I like how the facing clean finished the top of the yoke. Then after I went to turn mine I realized I must not have followed a direction because my front yoke didn't look like the instructions.  So I punted by turning and topstitching. I actually like this so no harm, no foul.



The bemberg rayon lining was used for the inside yoke pieces. This was done because I thought it would give it a nicer look to my top's inside and play well with my lace yoke pieces.

Even though I cut the XL, I should have cut the Large. Okay typing that is mind-blowing but there is A-L-O-T of ease in this top. If you're looking for a good maternity top this one would work well and that is not a put down, just an observation. I ended up cutting another 1.5" from each side to get a top that is still a little on the loose side.  

Next time I make this I will start with the Large.  I also cut 3" off the bottom of the top.  This is an extremely long top and if I had added a few inches it would have made a great boho dress!

I didn't add the elastic to the sleeves even though I planned to.  As I was working with the top, the sleeves reminded me of the bell sleeves that were on the tops I wore in the '70s. If I was going for the true '70s boho chic look, I decided the sleeves were best without the elastic.  

Then as I was inserting the sleeves I remembered that I had a brown lace trim in the stash. Once I added the lace trim to the sleeves, I was really thrilled with the look it gave the sleeves - different from the pattern envelope - but very boho chic!

A few more photos of the top ~




I'm wearing ponte legging jeans from the Avenue with the top. I bought them in black, brown and gray. The fit is not bad and they will allow me to work on my slim leg pants pattern yet have something to wear to work!

Conclusion ~
I cut this top out late last night. Got up this morning and made a new top in three hours...that's even with the alterations. I love this top! I love the way it makes me feel, comfortable yet well put together, and most especially this top/outfit will work well in my job environment! The other thing is that it will work into the winter months because I can add a sleeveless turtleneck under it for additional warmth.


Now to go diving in the fabric collection to find more fabric to make up another version before I go back to work on Tuesday! 

My daughter and I took pictures of several pieces this weekend so there will be more versions of Butterick 5678 up on the blog soon.

...as always more later!



45 comments:

  1. I like this look! Pretty fabric for the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love it. I really dig your fabric choices. I wanted to do a version with lace this summer but never got around to it. Such a perfect top for fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your tops really inspired me! The other versions I found online were direct copies of the pattern's photo. You went into it creatively and made some really cute tops!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely love this on you!!! It is so effortless but totally stylish. And it just looks GOOD! So nice. I'm sure you'll be making another one :-p

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great look for you Carolyn, really chic. I love that you know when you purchased the elements which come together so beautifully. Paisley is eternal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia - it's totally the tagging system that I've used on the fabrics AND some of the online fabric sites can tell me when I purchased something if it's not too long ago.

      Delete
  5. This is a beautiful look for you. So easy yet elegant at the same time. I can't believe you made it in 3 hours. The lace on the sleeves just ties it all together. Fabulous. g

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I love this on you... I did a double-take at first, as this isn't a typical look for you. Your eye for blending these fabrics and your gorgeous cuff treatment make this such an artistic piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but this is now the "new" me! Everything going forward is going to have this more casual vibe to it.

      Delete
  7. You look beautiful and stylish as usual. Love that paisley challis, it is perfect for this top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love! I wasn't sure this pattern would work on someone with curves but now I have seen yours I may have to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great top Carolyn - I really like the way your fabric choice has totally changed the top from summer to autumn. I'm really enjoying watching you explore new styles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely top! The fabric is just perfect -- paisley is my weakness. :-) Love it paired with the ponte jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely top and your fabric combinations work beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice! That pleated trim is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! You really kicked this top up a notch with the unique fabrics and trim. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice. The casual look really works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the top and the fabric is super. I am going to get that pattern. You are very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love this on you. It's next up in my que too so I really appreciate the warning about the sizing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice fabric combo ... FIESTA ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the top! I also have problems with "maternity looking" tops and I don't think this one looks at all like a maternity top on you. Love the lace!

    ReplyDelete
  19. very cute and great new silhouette on you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this tunic, Carolyn!!! Your new casual style is speaking my language!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would never have considered this pattern based on the pic on the pattern envelope, but yours--it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! Sometimes I think they should just put the line drawings on the front of the pattern because many times they are so much more instructive and inspiring than the photographs.

      Delete
  22. This is such a cute tunic - especially love the trim. Isn't it fun to sew up fabric that's been in your stash for several years? I always feel like it's free when I do that! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I'm going to be sewing for free for YEARS cause I have a cave full of free fabric! *LOL* But I do know what you mean - it's nice not to spend money to get a new top!

      Delete
  23. Looks really good on you Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your version looks so cute and au courant. I'm surprised that no one else on PR had the imagination to see the pattern in different colors/fabrics. You do imagination so well. I forget to tell you that in my comments, because you probably already know that.

    But, still, it doesn't hurt to tell you that your imagination sets you apart.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The top is on trend and you look fabulous in this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really love this outfit on you Carolyn. It looks really well put together and dressy as well as comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great top!
    Nothing wrong with supplementing your wardrobe with a few RTW pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love everything about this look. I'm loving the skinny (I assume very comfy!) ponte jeans on you and I'm loving the top. Just went & had a look at the finished measurements....66" for L (16-18)...YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful combo of fabrics. Love these fall colors!
    I think fall has passed us up, 106, 103 the last few days,
    Anaheim Hills, CA

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just so happens I am looking for maternity patterns, so appreciate the observation! Also love your take on this pattern. Looks like you are finding your new, casual style!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great combo of fabrics and tweaks ... those lace sleeve edges are inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is a really different look on you but I love it so much!!!! Super fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love this tunic on you. You look gorgeous! I too mix ready to wear with garments I've made. I just don't have the time to make all of my clothes unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This looks great on you! I am loving all these new casual pieces you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This post shows that you feel good, look good, feel comfortable, and are happy. Did you have James Brown's 'I feel good' song playing while taking these pics?

    Your shirt looks great and easy breezy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails