Saturday, April 10, 2010

I can sew from this!

There have been no posts because I haven't been sewing...not to finish the beige wool crepe dress, nothing.  I haven't purchased any new patterns or fabric...and I haven't had anything to say!  Amazing right?!  However, that doesn't mean that I haven't been thinking about sewing...because I have...ALOT!

I've got quite a few ideas for dresses I want to make this spring and summer.  I'm keeping a list, adding in notes and trying to work out some design details.  Now all of this started because of one of the requirements for the SWAP:

1 will feature embroidery, beads or sashiko

I've been thinking on this and thinking on this...trying to come up with a piece that will work with my lifestyle as well as with the garments I've already created and I've got nuthin.  However, I do have a list of new techniques I want to incorporate into my spring/summer sewing but nuthin that will work in the SWAP.  And I'm feeling pressured...big time!  I don't create or sew well under pressure...so I've decided to make the last 3 tops and the final dress that I've planned and to let this go.  I'm pretty sad about it because I've never not completed a SWAP but it just feels like I'm blocked and can't move forward until I let this go...*sigh*  So you will see the final projects this month and then I'm moving on.  There is just so much that I want to sew! 

Anyway on Tuesday, March 23rd I blogged that I wouldn't purchase any more fabric until I went to PR weekend in Philly in May...and I haven't...so don't wait for any admissions! *LOL*  C'mon people it's only been two weeks!  I have a little more willpower than that! *LOL*  A little!!!! 

So this morning, I got up bright and early and pulled every piece of fabric out of that towering pile that I changed over last weekend.  Boy, did I discover some treasures.  There are lots of coordinates in that pile...pieces I put together last year to sew and never got a chance to get to...beautiful prints and florals in cottons, silks and linens...lovely suiting fabrics...and of course, a rainbow of color in linen...and I thought I can sew from this!

Quite a few of the ideas in my project journal can be made from the fabric from that pile...okay who am I lying too...ALL of the ideas in my project journal can be sewn from that pile! *smile*  Several of the projects I listed in my post, "A Few Things I Want For Spring" can be sewn from this pile, too.  So I've been dancing around the pile all morning with this big cheesy grin because once I've got these last few SWAP garments sewn...I will be able to create some amazing new garments from the fabric on-hand.

Yeah...I can sew from this!

17 comments:

  1. Theresa in TucsonApril 10, 2010 12:00 PM

    Carolyn, your sewing energy is pulling in a different direction. I can relate to that. I entered the SWAP this year for the first time, got all my shirts done, got my jeans done and the sewing mojo got hijacked by swimsuits. What the hey, it's still sewing, so keep on. I'm going to enjoy seeing what you produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't all the possibilities amazing ad exciting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I can relate. I haven't been sewing because I have been drafting patterns, planning, and waiting for the bits and pieces I need so that I CAN sew! Today is the first day that I have sewn in a week, and I have just been working on finishing all the UFOs that are scattered around my sewing room!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always amazed by your ability to bare your soul and post pics of your stash. I merely cower in the corner and never reveal mine........you are wonderful to go through your stash. You have inspired me Carolyn- I will do the same this weekend!!!! Clean that is, not post and reveal!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your blog and I wish I had half of your abilities and vision! Have you thought about doing an infinity dress? Not to pull you away from your journal...but this may ease your mind a little and I hear they are super easy! Let us know if you decide to make one (because I want to make one too)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel you girl! I have a young sewer coming over today to get fabric adn patterns. I must decrease my collection. I have decided to sew only using better fabrics, so I have a lot of stuff from Joanns in my stash that I will never use. I also have tons of patterns to get rid of. My sewing mojo is not the problem, my problem is space and not being organized. Good luck on your projects they sound very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking about the requirement for your SWAP: couldn't you do a subtle "plaid" sashiko on a cuff of a jacket? Even running stitches going one way, and then a narrower or wider set of running stitches going the other way in order to create a plaid. Do it in the same tone of thread as your background and it will be sophisticated AND meet the requirement for your SWAP.

    In re-reading your post, maybe not. I think the other issue is that sometimes "requirements" become arbitrary, and apparently this is what it feels like to you. So agreed--leave it behind and go the direction your sewing heart wants to go.

    I found that my energy for projects has finally returned after taking a long break. I guess I just need some fallow time, just like Mother Nature in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is something about nice fabric that makes the heart sing. Looking forward to watching your additions to your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the mental image of you dancing around the fabric stacks with a big 'ol grin on your face. :) Good luck getting those last few SWAP pieces done and then happy creating with the new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now, if that were me, I'd dance around the fabric piles with a great big grin, then give into temptation, start on several new projects and once (before completing SWAP), and end up with three times as many UFOs. My new sewing goal is to be more like Carolyn, and FINISH current projects before starting new ones. Eager to see what you sew up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have hit on the reason I can't (or won't) commit to a organized SWAP. I'm sure I would get blocked by some requirement. I like the idea of a SWAP, but actually carrying it out is another story.

    I can't wait to see what you create for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The beaded piece got to me as well. I spent months planning things and working out designs that I wasn't really comfortable with and then one day in the space of 5 minutes, the inspiration came and it all fell into place. I bet now that you've let it go, something will come for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes the thinking and planning to sew are as much fun as the sewing. I really admire your work and have a question. Do you use a special interfacing in your projects? You never mention having problems with interfacing bubbling or puckering. I would love to find a source of quality interfacing. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you already decided not to finish the swap in time, why not just let it go for the moment and sew something that really makes you happy?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Doin' the happy dance with you! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. While I was off for 4 days I cut 8 patterns as well as the fabric and have yet to touch them. I've taken to sewing other garments instead of what I cut :0 Totally ADDS... I vowed that I wouldn't buy any fabric either, but caved in while spending a day with mom and she told me about a fabric shop not to far from her. I immediately hopped in the car only to run back to assist her to car and headed over to the fabric shop - I could barely carry the bag of fabric after purchasing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are very talented. I'm sure you can sew any fabric that you want and the outcome will always be good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails