First let's get it out of the way...the Macy's color blocked dress is finished. However, after spending the day out I'm just not in the mood to get dressed up and take pictures. So I promise I will have pics of me in the finished dress soon.
Before I left this afternoon, I worked on the Burda dress #115 from the September 2005 issue. Let me remind you of how Burda WOF (that's what it was called then!) showed it:
This is the description, "Elegant but not showy - this Sixties-styled sheath dress is quite typical for the Lady Look. Newly interpreted with curved waist seams, this classic looks ever so modern and is extremely figure flattering. Our illustrated sewing course for this style located in the supplement will guarantee your sewing success."
I need to start out by saying that even though I love the design on this dress because it is so ladylike and classic, I HATE tracing the pattern off those pattern sheets. *sigh* I need to say this again...I HATE TRACING THE PATTERN OFF THOSE SHEETS! Okay I'm feeling a little better...
So after I traced all those dayum pieces off the pattern sheets, and there are a lot of pieces, I had to alter all of those pieces because this pattern is size 36 - 44. Yeah, I think I wear a 50 or 52 in a BWOF pattern. *sigh* I was ready to toss this project in the garbage at that point and go look for a very easy top to make. But I realized that I started the tracing too late last night and that a fresh perspective in the morning would help.
This morning the tracing was a little easier but again I wonder how do you Burdaphiles do this? Anyway, my starting point was once again my TNT dress pattern. Please, there was just no way that I was re-inventing the fit process with all those tiny little dress pieces!
After the front dress piece from my TNT pattern was traced, it was used as a basis to enlarge the Burda pattern pieces.
The Burda pieces were lain on top of the dress front. I then enlarged each pattern piece to meet my fitted TNT dress pattern. Each piece was cut out and 5/8" seam allowances were added to the edges of each one.
Then to double check and make sure that the pattern actually reflected my TNT dress front, I laid them back onto the pattern, checked them again and made additional corrections. After all of the pattern work on the front of the dress, I've decided that I will use my TNT back pattern pieces. The thought of doing this process all over again for the back pieces and then matching the sides seams, started me to trembling and muttering...it wasn't good people! *LOL* So this is where I left the dress when I went out to lunch with my Mom and my daughter.
BTW, the BWOF magazine shows the dress two ways ~ in a tweedy fabric and in a smooth tropical wool fabric. I wasn't sure what fabric I was going to use when I went out but when I got home and saw the Macy's Dress hanging, I realized that a doubleknit would really showcase the seaming...and even though I thought I had a gray one on hand...
I'm going to go with this raspberry one. If I'm gonna put this much effort into the pattern alterations, well d*mnit, you're going to see each and every one of those seams in a boldly colored dress! I can always tone it down for work by adding a black or navy cardigan.
I'm off to cut out ALL of those pattern pieces...
...and as always more later!