Wednesday, September 01, 2010

A Fall/Winter Sewing Plan

If you are a frequent reader here, you realize that I primarily sew my work wardrobe and that I love a dress! So I've fashioned myself a new fall/winter sewing challenge.  For the next four months (excluding my Sewcation which I plan on sewing whatever moves me!) I want to pick a series of coordinating fabrics and make a jacket, a skirt, a pair of pants and a dress.

The way this will work is that I will choose a series of coordinating fabrics from the collection.  I will use a new or TNT jacket pattern, a new or TNT skirt and dress pattern but I'm not remaking the wheel with my pants pattern - it will be my TNT all the way!  *LOL*  I will sew one garment each weekend so that I compile a finished capsule at the end of every month.  The point of this exercise is to get several go-to meeting outfits and a couple of new pantsuits.

Every year as fall rolls around, I dream of pantsuits.  I never end up making many because of my obsession with dresses...it's a love affair that is fully reciprocated by each new dress I make, btw.  So I had to come up with a solution...a way to merge my love of dresses with my need of pantsuits.  Cause even though it will be in the 90s here this week, truthfully those cold chilly days of winter are approaching. 

I have to say that I was inspired by Barbara (Sewing on the Edge) and Myrna (Myrna Giesbrecht) when deciding what to plan for fall.  Barbara because she's instituted a new rule ~ she has to sew two skirts before she can make another dress, because she loves dresses as much as I do.  Myrna is starting her Self Imposed Sewing Club where she's taking 12 projects that she's pushed to the back of her sewing list and making one a month. 

My plan is a riff on theirs.  I need pantsuits but I love to sew dresses.  However, I also love to wardrobe sew and I'm pretty successful when I've planned them out.  I haven't picked out the first fabric and coordinates yet.  I will do that after the Sewcation...but this is where I'm headed for the rest of the year.  I'm pretty excited too because if this works, I will end up with at least four new pantsuits...more if I plan well and several new dresses.  It's a win-win situation!

...as always, more later!

19 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing the new wardrobe evolve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a plan! I do love your though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great plan...I'll be watching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, another self-imposed sewist! I can't wait to see the coordinates you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it. What about blouses for this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great plan! I have been thinking wardrobe planning as well and you have given me that little extra nudge. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great plan Carolyn. I look forward to seeing the new wardrobe. Don't remind me of the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to following your plan as it evolves. You've given me an extra push to do what I need and want to do. I'm going to plan a coordinating wardrobe this Fall and follow the plan (for the most part).

    ReplyDelete
  9. My plan is to just sew. Get down there and make something wearable. Work on fit. I'll be happy if I end up with one new garment that the fit is fabulous on at the end of the Fall.

    Your plan is awesome and I can't wait to see it all come together. g

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this idea. I'm also keen on Myrna's plan. I know you'll make wonderful garments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it when people have plans for what to sew. I would feel very satisfied with myself if I could do that. I think I may try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your plan and I look forward to seeing each piece.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your plan, and I need to give you credit for returning me to my love of dresses. You always inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is an awesome plan. Also an idea that has been percolating after I made S2700 pants. We need to do a sew along... snickering..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the way you plan your wardrobe, and there is nothing wrong with a good TNT pattern. I did an 'audit' of my sewing efforts over the last 18 months, and I have done mostly tops. Now I have to plan to sew jackets and coats. You keep me inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  16. planning is wonderful, I am so on board with making separates, my closet is truly lacking them. I can't wait to see how your plan comes together, as always

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like a great plan. I think I need to plan some mini wardrobes for myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails