Saturday, September 04, 2010

Some cleaning but no sewing going on...

I know that everyone is looking for a new garment but somehow I never manage to sew my first day of vacation.  Today I actually spent a considerable amount of time on the computer and cleaning...yes, cleaning.  Even though I have someone clean for me, there are some things that I like to do myself, so I did some of that today...and then there's my bedroom which is a wreck.  So before I can settle in to sew, I must straighten it out first!

That leads to this post btw.  I'm sure everyone has seen the new September BurdaStyle magazine.  If not here is a pic:


There is a discussion going on at Stitcher's Guild about the dress on the cover.  It's either loved or not...I'm in the love category, btw.  Anyway, back to the cleaning...there is a pile of sewing mags by the side of the bed that I'm putting away.  Now you know putting away doesn't mean that I pile them up, take them to the living room and place them in the proper spot...no this involves some page turning, some looking and even some deciding if it really should leave my bedroom!  *LOL*

While flipping through the September 2005 issue, which was laying by the bed for a cardigan pattern that I absolutely adore, I found this:


Yeap, doesn't it look very similar to the dress on the cover of the Sept. 2010 issue!  There are some differences...the rounded yoke neckline, the missing flanges (but seriously who needs them), it comes in sizes 36 - 44 and the pieces are located on the pages where you can actually see the pattern pieces.


It's also the Illustrated Sewing Course, so you can see how to assemble the dress.  Now I really loved the dress on the front of the September 2010 issue but the one inside the September 2005 issue will be easier for me to knock-off.  One because the newer one is a petite version and located on those terrible pattern sheets...and you know how much I hate tracing!  And two, because it will be easier to grade up (okay lay on top of my TNT dress pattern and cut up) AND its the old pattern sheets, so easier to see to trace!

I got the idea to put this dress on my sewing list when I bought the new BurdaStyle Magazine Thursday evening.  However, it was just going on the list.  Now I'm thinking...can't you smell the wood burning *LOL*...that I may need to work on this dress this week.  I have some doubleknit in the closet in both gray and raspberry...and it might be fun to make this work!

So we shall see...but isn't it interesting that a version of the same dress is in two different Burda magazines five years apart!  And if you collect (hoard) Burda's like I do, you might have this issue in your collection too!

Well back to cleaning...I'm not quite done yet.  But I will be finished tonight because I will be up early tomorrow morning, laying out a pattern.  I have to get a little sewing in before I head off to my family's annual Labor Day barbeque.  There are some cousins coming that I haven't seen in awhile...so I'll be in my sister's backyard eating, talking junk, playing spades and enjoying my family's company. 

I hope everyone who celebrates Labor Day has a wonderful weekend too!

...as always, more later!

22 comments:

  1. I think I'm in the love group too, but not for me personally with the flanges. But the 2005 version is even cuter, IMO.

    So jealous of your BBQ tomorrow and especially playing spades. LOVE that game, but haven't played in a while.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that you found the very similar garment. I think the cleaning thing is going around like some sort of bug. I'm cleaning and so is DH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn I'm in the love group with you and Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the love group, too. This is my first issue of BURDA STYLE. As a seriously height-challenged person, I also love the jacket and skirt with the same cut, on p. 23. 5 ft. 2 in. people don't do well in ruffles and flourishes and these patterns look like they'd be adaptable to my size....which is short but -ahem--womanly. Those tracing sheets are scary, however.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I need to order a copy of that magazine, that dress is super cute, I love the seam detail. I hope you have a great time at the bbq and get back to sewing so we can see some progress soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm exactly the same when I start trying to tidy and sort my sewing stuff - I get totally distracted by looking at magazines and patterns that I'd forgotten about! I love both the 2010 and 2005 Burda dresses. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this dress, but the arm flange things are odd to me, so I think the 2005 version is much cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you I find that when I decide to tidy up my sewing stuff I get distracted by magazines and patterns that I had forgotten about. I love both the 2005 and 2010 versions of the Burda dress. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't decide if I am in the love or hate section on this one. Don't especially care for the flanges, but I love anything draped. Hmmm. . . have to think about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm cleaning too. It is a fall thing for me.

    I've missed the SG topic, missed SG altogether, but starting next week I am getting back. I definitely love that dress though, love it enough to make me question my decision to drop Burda.

    Have a great time with your family. My family always played spades too and I miss getting together with them; it has been far too long.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had that 2005 version traced and ready to cut for over a year now. I had to find the fabric. I think I have it now from Fabric Mart, so it may get sewn very soon. I've loved that pattern since I received that 2005 magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the older version much better, but then I'm not fashion forward (as BS sees it, anyway) so I find that my magazines have to age a few years before much of it seems useful to me. I do like the concept of the 2010 version, but I'm not sure arm-flanges are entirely... practical. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the cover dress, but like Debbie Cook, I don't love the flanges.

    Are you *REALLY* going to make a Burda pattern or alter one of your TNTs to look like the Burda? I'd love to see it either way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the 2005 version and can't wait to see what you do with it..I'm going out with the sisters tomorrow. One year ago, one of them was diagnosed with breast cancer and she responded well to surgery and radiation and is cancer-free right now. We've gotten together much more often in the past 12 months, a wake-up call to how important family is....

    ReplyDelete
  15. They've been repeating a lot of patterns lately though - the same twisted-hem-at-the-bottom skirt has been in the last 3 issues of Burda... I loved the 2010 dress, though I was totally going to leave off the silly arm-flanges. Can't wait to see your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in the love group but I like the 2005 dress better. I don't ting that my collection of Burda mags goes back that far. So far, the only thing that I managed to clean off is my computer desk.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in the love group as well. But I could do without the wings *GRIN* I did run right upstairs, though, and found that same BWOF from 9/05 in my *ahem* collection! I love that particular issue a lot. There is so much in there that would be current right now. So, I think a marathon tracing session is in order this weekend. Have fun with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the cue - I like the dress, and want to make it. Using the September 05 version will be easier for me (less alterations). I note that the current version is sized for petites - and I am not petite!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love that dress and will be anxious to see what you make of it Carolyn. Enjoy your sewing week.But silly my me. Of course you are going to be in sewing heaven! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the dress and am really looking forward to your version. In fact I am looking forward to your sewcation, because I am going back to work, but can sew with your vicariously this week. Have fun with the family tomorrow too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I'm in the love camp too. But I will have to wait 3 months for this issue to arrive. Burda are becoming very repetitive in their designs. I'm continually spotting duplications.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the 2005 version better, but I'm also in the "love" category on the new one. I was excited to see that they have a petite coat in this month's issue! I guess there's no excuse left for me in the coat sew-along now....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails