Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Simplicity 2958 - The Jacket

I've had this pattern in my collection for years because I've always wanted to make the dress. 


Every spring it goes on my "to sew" list usually with a piece of fabric from the collection attached to it.  Every fall both the pattern and the fabric get placed back into their respective piles to await another opportunity to be used.

After making the sewcation pieces, I kept feeling like they needed a jacket to finish off the wardrobe.  Something black...something short and flirty...just an easy little topper that would work with all of the pieces.  I thought I had 1.5 yards of the black double knit left and that I would be able to get the jacket out of it...but my first choice Vogue 1100 just wouldn't play along with me.

So I went hunting through the pattern stacks and my hand fell upon this pattern.  It had some of the elements that I was looking for and it seemed like it would be quick and easy.  It also fit on the scraps of fabric I had left to use!  If I had procrastinated a little less Monday evening I would have finished it up, that's how quickly and easily it went together.  This is where it stands right now:

Don't you hate black because you can't see any details!

I like this pattern for a couple of reasons ~ the little peter pan collar, the raglan sleeves and even the faux welt pockets could be amazing if done right.  True it doesn't have a lining but I could put one in anyway.  

But what really won me over is that as I started sewing the jacket, idea upon idea started to come to me about things I could do with this jacket...lengthen it, add a lining, add a pleat in the back, pipe the collar and faux pockets, bind the entire thing...  It also didn't hurt that the pattern fit right out of the envelope.  No sleeve bicep adjustments, no enlarging it to cover my tummy...it just worked.

So I will be finishing this one up over the weekend and probably starting another one using one of those aforementioned ideas!  I love a pattern that speaks loudly and lovingly to me when I start using it!

...more later!

23 comments:

  1. Congrats on sewing right out of the envelope! Sure is special when that happens and it turned into such a lovely jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That style is super cute and will go with so much. I can't get over "fit right out of the envelope"!!! That is a winner by itself!! I just spent two days trying to get princess seams to freakin' behave themselves. STill not sure about them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I ask -- how did you know this would fit? Did you measure, tissue fit, or just sew it up and to see what would happen? Fitting is my biggest problem with sewing. Thanks --

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn, that is my TNT dress pattern (without the pockets on the tummy which I do not need, LOL).
    I've never made the jacket, tho, not being a fan of raglan sleeves. Will have to try it.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. the first thing i thought was the dress does look like you style, it will be super cute on you, especially with a colorblock detail for the neckline. its funny how something just works, especially when you have been putting it off forever. The jacket tooks like its ready to be another TNT for youx

    ReplyDelete
  6. An unlined, double knit jacket is a great thing to have. And you are smart to make it in black. I have an orange one that I made last Spring from a Hotpatterns pattern. It's so comfortable and the shape goes with most things, though the orange colour is not so versatile and beginning to fade after a few washes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy seeing what you are up to :) Love this style..and what a bonus that no pattern adjustments were needed...I love when that happens !

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adorable little jacket, I'm sure you'll get lots of mileage from it. Really, you NEED to make that dress, it just screams your name!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute little jacket - and if you're plotting all those neat detail it might become a TNT. I can definitely see the dress neckline detail being done on the TNT dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i can't believe that there are no alterations?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes we sewers hold on to a pattern that we just "know" is good. And it paid off for you. Your jacket looks great and it sounds like it has inspired your creative juices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Instant TNT! Let's see now - I'd start manipulating the pattern. I can see this with contrast bottoms or cuffs on the sleeves,contrast facings flipped to the outside, contrast collar - or a totally different collar entirely. How about one that ties? Or a stand up one? Jeeze..this pattern can probably do almost anything..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Raglan sleeves and a peter pan collar! I'm a sucker for those, too -- I like the way they look and the way they fit, and don't hate the fact that they're easier to sew. Plus that style is always very *much* a jacket, and yet so very *not* a blazer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on finding a new TNT without needing any adjustments!! Can't wait to see what you do with this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute style! It'll be so perfect for your wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very Michelle Obama-esque. great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't you just love out of the envelope fits and I can definitely see that becoming a TNT.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it for all the elements you described, especially the little Peter Pan collar.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A question for you good people: how do I copy one pattern from the Burda one-sheet pattern master? I'm eager to try some patterns from my first issue of Burda Style, but don't know how to get the pattern into usable form. Is it traced? If so, what do you use for tracing material? I don't want to spoil the pattern master sheet by outlining "my" pattern in dark ink. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a gorgeous looking jacket, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looking good! And a big hooray for patterns that fit right out of the envelope - that is so awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails