Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Just The Basics...

I got off to a slow start this sewing vacay.  Not only did I not sew on Saturday but I didn't sew on Sunday either.  When I woke up Sunday morning, I was just tired.  So I vegged out in bed, in front of the television watching a "Who's The Boss" Marathon until it was time to leave for the BBQ.  After I got home from the BBQ, I read a few blogs, watched some TV and decided that since I hadn't sewn so far it could wait until Monday morning. 

Monday morning I woke up feeling like I wanted to sew...but the black linen dress and a few other pieces that I needed to sew, were hanging over my head, stopping up my creative flow and I just couldn't ignore that feeling...so I went with it.

There were four basics that needed to be completed:

The Basic Black Dress


I started this during the middle of August and let the draw of other things pull me away from it.  I hate UFOs so it had to be finished...while it could still be worn!

Stats:
Pattern: 
TNT dress pattern with a v-neckline and a center front seam. 

Fabric:
2.5 yards of black linen purchased from Fabric Mart several years ago

Notions:
22" invisible zipper
2.5 yds of black rayon bemberg lining
2 yards of black satin piping
2 yards of black bias binding

Construction:
Originally I think I had plans to do something different with the front of the dress.  After I sewed the shell together and left it, I really just wanted it finished and wearable.  So besides adding a bit of piping to the neckline to give it some distinction


this is just a lined v-neck version of my TNT dress pattern.  It will be a work horse in my professional wardrobe, suitable to coordinate with many different cardigans and jackets.

The Cardigan


Another piece that is a basic in my wardrobe.  This fabric is relatively new to the collection, purchased at Elliott Berman during the last PR NYC Shopping Day.  The colors in this knit will work with so many pieces in my wardrobe...that it seemed like a good idea to make it up as part of the "basics sew"...especially since it goes so well with the black linen dress.

Stats:
Pattern:
TNT Burda Cardigan Pattern - 8869

Fabric:
2 yards of rayon/lycra knit from Elliott Berman

Notions:
seam tape
5 - 1/2" buttons

I've made this cardigan quite a few times so there is nuthin' new about it's construction.  It's just an excellent pattern to showcase beautiful and unusual fabrics.  I won't see myself coming and going in this baby!

Black Linen Pants


I recently made a pair of black linen pants to replace my last pair - which were worn out from so much wear.  Well this last pair has been worn 3x in the last 2 weeks.  It got me thinking that maybe I should make another pair (since there is plenty of black linen in the collection) sooner rather than later.  And since I was on a basics kick, this was the first thing that rolled out of my sewing machine on Monday afternoon.

Pattern:
TNT Pants Pattern

Fabric:
2.5 yards of Maggy London linen recently purchased from Fabric Mart

Notions:
2.5 yards of elastic

Again, this is my go-to, lay them down and sew pants pattern.  They are unlined and not only work with the Sewing Workshop Mission Tank pictured, but will coordinate with several other pieces in my wardrobe.

Finally, the Sewing Workshop Mission Tank with tie


I haven't made this tank top yet this year, probably because I've made so many of them!  They are hard working pieces in my professional wardrobe so it was time to add another one to the pack.

Stats:
Pattern:
Sewing Workshop Mission Tank altered to add a tie to the neckline.

Fabric:
1.5 yards of a rayon knit remnant

This is the easiest tank to make.  It takes just a little work and gives such a big bang for the buck...especially if you use a great piece of fabric with it.

The first four finished pieces:


So the basics are done!  I've cleared them off my list and can now move onto the fun stuff!  Which are of course two new dresses.  I will be working on them this evening and tomorrow.  Thursday, I will be out with my Mom.  I promised her months ago that I would spend a day with her so Thursday we are getting our hair done, mani/pedis, lunch and a little shopping.

Hopefully, I will have something to share tomorrow...

...and as always, more later!

43 comments:

  1. Love the tank! I have several similar planned for summer. You're right, they are really hardworking pieces. I also really love the piping on your dress. What a stylish way to add something extra to a simple dress. Brilliant! You look stunning in these shots. Is your hair a little longer now? It looks great, whatever you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, I'm just loving your basics--- they seem anything, but basic (wink). Love those linen pants and tank. They make you look so sophisticated (smile). Have fun with all of your sewing and enjoy your day of pampering as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two days sewing! Even if its finishing up a few ufo. Of course you are smoking the fo look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all look great. I especially love the tank. That fabric is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn I think your basics look very boring and rather ugly...especially the tank. I've never seen you make anything that looked so ratty. Being the friend that I am, I'll take them off your hands because I wouldn't want you to wear anything so hideous looking...LOL. Okay just joking-- and you know it. I love everything especially the tank and if you did see fit to send them to me I would proudly strut my stuff in your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sewing machine must be smokin'. Love the new basics, especially the cardigan's fabric. Looking forward to your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job, I love all the pieces! You will get so much use out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you are relaxing and enjoying yourself. I love the basics and the prints in the two tops - fabulous. You definately have the knack! g

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is alot of sewing, great job. Your garments look fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are an amazing inspiration! I must quit wasting time on the computer and spend it instead in my sewing room. Your basics are beautiful and you look wonderful in them. You rock Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Slow start?? Hah! You crack me up and are anything but slow. All the new basics are great and paired with the prints, don't look basic at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite is the tank and the pants. Yeah, you are right, go ahead and make another pair.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow..that's alot of output, even if they're just "basics". And they are all stylish and gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carolyn, I love your basics. That tank top is super gorgeous, especially made up in that fabric. You look fantastic in the pants/top combo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you are so organized! I have to look into the SW Mission Tank. That is one pattern I don't have. Can't wait to see what you are making next! Enjoy your sewcation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you deserved a rest after your last work week. Those are all great pieces that will make so many outfits, but I do understand what you mean about just wanting to do fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am shaking my head, I don't know how you manage to do that much sewing in so little time. Your LBD looks good and I look at your pants and think, I really should find a TNT pants pattern. you are on a roll lady!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous little 'basics' collection!

    Enjoy your sewing break!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carolyn...what a great group of basics. But somehow when you make them, they are so much more than "basic" :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, I'm impressed, you are so productive! I love all four pieces, they are great and look wonderful together too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great basics! I love the print on the cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a nice little wardrobe. You got a lot accomplished in a short amount of time. Marathon sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG, I almost passed out seeing you in PANTS! Wow, you really have gotten a lot done. I love all of it, especially the Mission Tank. The tie really adds a lot to it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i like the piping on the black dress =-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your slow start resulted in more garments than my output for the last year. Has there ever been an award for "best use of TNT patterns"? I'd guess you would win by a wide margin. If not, I'd love to see the winners blog!

    I think I've written it before, but it's worth repeating - if a new sewist needs a pointer to the value of TNT patterns and how to tweak them, your blog is a good resource.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just to clarify, I *know* a lot of you commenters use TNT patterns, but right now I can't think of anyone who uses them more than Carolyn. Or do y'all just write more about the new patterns you make up because you think writing about the same ones repeatedly would be boring? If that's the case, I wouldn't be bored reading about them!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Carolyn, I'm glad you got your mojo working! I think you were due for a day off, but you're sure making up for it.

    Shams, the Mission Tank is oop, but Linda Lee told me that the Mixit Tank is the same pattern, just reissued. I've made it twice and it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Carolyn, you look smashing especially in the tank and pants!! You and Gigi are making my head spin with the top speed / top rate production of beautiful garments. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I do love that tank, love the fabric. Have a great day with your mom on Thursday and be sure and bring back some of the mom-isms that mom's always seem to have, no matter what our age, they always seem to be able to dish them out to us don't they, HA!

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE the piping on the dress!! Great Job on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  32. A very productive day! I think the tank is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a productive day of sewing! I absolutely love the linen pants and tank top outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Good stuff here, C! I'm loving it all.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The benefits of the tnt pattern without a doubt. Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nothing wrong with good basics! I can't wait for the fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love your basics. So cute! Can't wait to see what you make next. Have fun with your mom tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  38. What great outfits - you will wear these forever and enjoy them so much. Beautifully done and beautifully fitted.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The basics are all GOOD. They are the backbone of the wardrobe, and you have a strong backbone.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Carolyn!

    First off - I am a fan, I love reading and seeing what you have created.
    I have a question regarding your cardigans, which I happen to love wearing. Do you only use the Rayon/Lycra knit fabric? Is there other fabrics you use with good results?
    Thanks so much and I look forward to what you make next..and next.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm in love with your tank and your linen pants! I haven't managed to find a TNT ANYTHING pattern, yet, as my body keeps morphing into a billion different shapes and sizes. (a baby two years ago, dieting, running, etc)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Yes, they are basics, but they're so pretty and feminine and well, just a lovely little capsule! Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails