Saturday, October 15, 2011

Vogue 8764 in photos


Yes, it's finished and I'm kinda liking it!  It will be great for work and it's comfortable...so lets go to the stats:


Pattern:
Vogue 8764 from Vogue's recent Winter/Holiday release.


Fabric:
Red ponte knit from Fabric Mart
Black doubleknit from Metro Textiles


Notions:
22" red invisible zipper
black/white striped ribbon


Construction:
One of the best things about this pattern is the A,B,C,D cup custom fit sizing.  I used the D cup bodice in a size 24 and had no problems with the fit...well I think my side dart can be a smidge higher...but that's probably my fault.  I'm sure it was higher but when I removed the basting, my markings disappeared too, so I think I sewed it a smidge lower.  Definitely won't happen next time!


To make the skirt portion fit my abdomen, I did a proper pivot and slide technique making another pattern piece instead of the quickie I usually do on the fabric.  But even with this I feel the dress is still a little too close-fitting in that area...so I've already altered my pattern piece to give me a little more room without changing the empire waistline seam...to use in the next version.  Believe me there will be a next one...I've already picked out the fabric...a tweedy wool crepe.


This dress is unlined.  The pattern tells you to line it.  I pretty much thought that I wouldn't line it right from the first fitting because the fabric doesn't need it.  I am, however, wearing a half slip in the pics and will in real life.  To finish off the neckline since I didn't line it, I just serge finished my pieces and turned under a 1/2" and stitched flat using a lot of steam and my clapper.


Only the neckline is top-stitched although the pattern tells you to topstitch all  the seams.  By not adding the lining, I did have some looseness in the back neckline, I solved this by adding two shallow darts.  I'm not sure if the looseness was caused by my handling of the fabric because it was more stretchy than the bottom piece, or if the back piece just was a little looser on me.  Whatever the darts solved the problem...



I'm still using Summerset's method (her November 2nd, 2009 blog post) to set in an invisible zipper when you have a band in the back and it works like a charm.  I got a really good match this time...even though I sewed the ribbon to the dress prior to adding the zipper. 



Adding the ribbon trim was a little challenging, but Steam A Seam 2 in the 1/2" size made the job so much easier.  By applying it to the back of the ribbon and then lightly pressing the ribbon to the fabric I got a great hold before I took the dress to the sewing machine and added two rows of stitching to the ribbon.  Then after I pressed the ribbon area, the Steam A Seam added some additional hold to insure the ribbon was firmly attached to the dress.


The sleeve hems and the hem of the dress both have a twin needle hem.




When I was putting the dress on the hanger, I knew that I wanted to wear the pearl brooch that was my Mom's.  She wore it in the 70s, I actually remember her wearing it when I was in high school.  I retrieved it from a garage sale basket she was putting together a couple of years ago and I've been wearing it ever since.  However, when I pinned it to the knit top, it made the dress front sag.  To solve this I was originally going to put a piece of the black/white ribbon on the back of the dress so the brooch would be stabilized. As I was cutting the fabric it hit me that the ribbon on the front of the dress with the brooch would look cute.  That's how that look came to be...




Finally a few more shots of me wearing the dress...






I've already pulled the fabric for my next dress...yes, I know another dress but  my dress wearing time is starting to get short...it's starting to get chilly here...I'm watching the wind blow outside my kitchen window as I type this.  And I know that I'm going to need to make a couple of pairs of pants this winter since I've recently retired several pairs.


....as always, more later!


  





69 comments:

  1. Love it! You look amazing in it and the brooch/ribbon is such a great idea. Thanks for tutorial mention, too - glad it worked - the back looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dress, you look fabulous! I really think the ribbon and brooch is the perfect final touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The brooch looks so great with that ribbon. It really finished it off perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your dress and the way you have it styled with the brooch! For me, tho, I can't stand an elevated/ empire waist like that. For some reason, it just irritates the heck out of me! It's too bad because they're really flattering!

    Gail D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look wonderful and your Mothers brooch with the ribbon is a really nice idea. Hmmmm giving me ideas! What was the date of Summersets tutorial as I can't find it? duh!
    RobynK
    New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to see your finished dress today especially since I stayed up late last night working on mine. Love your version. Mine is in solid black since I need a LBD I used some fabric I had in stash to make a wearable markup. I'm almost to the fitting stage, and I did line just the bodice. I'm also sure that there will be a second dress for me too as I'm feeling a little "dressy" this fall season.
    I'll need to find me a brooch to wear with my version too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great dress and the brooch is a wonderful unifying accent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very classy! You look terrific in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely dress and love the use of the ribbon. Back shoulder darts are such savers and notice several of my rtw suit jackets have them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful dress. I love the ribbon and brooch addition. Quick question- maybe it is just me, why does a knit dress need a zipper? Does it make it fall better? As I have had an aversion to putting in zippers (smile) I have made several dresses without it and I think they turned out fine?????

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look fantastic! Just perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous Carolyn - as are you! Very flattering and the trim and brooch are just perfect. Beautifully made as always - I especially like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tres chic! Wonderful job, as always. Love the idea of the brooch so will "borrow" it in the future. Will definitely check out Summerset tute as invisible zips give me the heebee jeebies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Truly lovely! The ribbon with the pin is the perfect accent.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like this dress on you Carolyn...I thought that two separate colors might "chop" you up a little...but it didn't at all!
    Of course the ribbon and the brooch are the perfect finishing touches. Once again, thanks for sharing another successful project with us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look stunning! This dress is fantastic. I am amazed it is the first time you sewed the pattern too! Everything just came together. The tomato red colour really suits, the styling looks fab with the little brooch, and I think the silhouette is flattering. Of all the dresses you've shared with us, I love this one on you the best. You look gorgeous in it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, that's it -- I'm making a copy of this one. Well, except for the brooch, of course.

    So, yes, now people are making knockoffs of YOUR ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this has to be my favourite dress on you in a while. I love the colour, love the ribbon detail and your clever treatment of the brooch and the ribbon is perfect. You look like a million dollars in this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I positively love the clothes you make. Always check your posts first.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your dress!!! You look really nice. A great dress for work, dinner, etc. Thanks for mentioning the tutorial for the zipper.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful dress and a perfect fit on you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another winner! Can't wait for Vogue to go on sale so I can pick this up and make this dress too! I love your dresses. g

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loving it! That brooch is the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really like your dress. It is very different from your TNT dresses and I love the brooch. Nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh! I LOVE this dress. You look fabulous. It is so flattering on you. I love the belt placement, colors and the pin. I'm going to have to try out this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  26. All your work is beautiful but this dress is particularly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look smokin' in this dress... Seriously rocking the color blocking!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Carolyn I absolutely love this dress! You are so creative . Definitely need to get this pattern. Everytime you post a new item that you have made I get so inspired to keep on-a sewing! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love love love you in this dress. It is so flattering on you and the broach just adds that touch of magic.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I bought this pattern also and am definitely copying you with the 2 fabrics - this is one gorgeous dress and you look fabulous in it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this color block combination! It looks amazing and the colors are classic!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Pretty dress! It really accentuates your figure. The red on black tied together with the ribbon makes for a bold and stylish number:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. It looks fantastic! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your smile says it all! A dress for the office or church or luncheon with so much pizazz.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fantastic dress, Carolyn, probably one of my favorites in a long time. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The ribbon trim finishes this dress out perfectly! You look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love it! It looks fabulous on you and the ribbon trim and brooch really finish it off. Very elegant!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This dress is a real stunner!! I love the bold colour block look and the ribbon trim brings it together so perfectly. That lovely, rich shade of red suits you very well indeed. I love how you have incorporated your Mother's brooch into the look - it looks so polished and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great looking dress and you have matched the trim so well. I too like the brooch - you'll be a knock-out at work.

    ReplyDelete
  40. That's a very pretty dress. Love the color blocking!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great looking dress! I like the ribbon on the dress and using it with brooch is perfect. Very flattering dress on you.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Carolyn, Don't tell anyone, but I I copy a lot of what you make! :) This dress will be another one! You look fantastic! ~Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  43. WOW! You really look gorgeous in this dress. The brooch is an inspired addition.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love this dress on you! It's so vibrant and flattering! The ribbon trim is a perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow! That is gorgeous and so flattering!!! I need to get this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love this on you! The broach and ribbon are genius!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Great dress! Red is your color! It looks great near your face.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love this, Carolyn--the color combination, the sharpness of the design--and the perfect accessory touch. Simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  49. This dress is gorgeous! You look fantastic. The brooch is great also! I love the colors on you and the ribbon is wonderful. The empire waist is pushing me towards making one like that in PMB

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh me of little faith! I had a little doubt when I saw the "in progress" pic. That ribbon was a great stroke of creativity and the dress is absolutely beautiful. Keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Gorgeous dress! it looks like the color combination of red, black and white is a great color combination for you. This struck me when I saw your webpage with your other lovely black, red and tan dress. Great job on this new dress--I love the ribbon accent!

    Rose in SV

    ReplyDelete
  52. I think this is one of my favorites on you - I love the colors on you, and the neckline!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I love this. Putting it on my list. Thanks for all the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wow - I love your dress. You've done an ammazing job, really love the striped trim.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Love this dress on you Carolyn! The red colour is so vibrant on you, the sleeves are fab (plus easy for work - no rolling up), the neckline, brooch & ribbon add chic embellishment detailing. Just lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. This has got to be my favorite you've made in a really long time. But of course, you know I love me some red and black! The ribbon under the brooch is the perfect accent to the perfect dress.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I read you religiously but rarely comment (bad reader, I know!), but you just look so stunning, I had to! This dress... everything about it is so flattering on you. Absolutely lovely, and the brooch is just perfect with the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I really like this on you! The colors are perfect, this combination is bright and clean, and I love how you accessorized it.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Fantastic dress. You looks great in it and the red suits you so well. Love the color combination and the ribbon and brooch are the details that make it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  60. A gorgeous dress and it looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Kinda likin' it? You should be LOVIN' it! This is classic! Red, black and white! Love it! Love what you did with the ribbon and the brooch is a nice touch! Great vision realized with this dress and it looks fantastic on you! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  62. This dress is, so far, my absolute favorite among all the dresses you made. It looks great on you, the colors are perfect and the ribbon addition is a brilliant idea/touch.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I love this dress so much! The red looks super on you. I love the colour-blocking, but with the ribbon at the waist it softens it slightly but still looks super graphic. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails