The first embellishment I planned was the white piping that I put at the neckline and armholes.
Then I realized when the dress was just a shell that it needed something down the front of it. That's when I dug around and found this black and white ribbon for the front. Now the ribbon was a little wider than I wanted but I folded and pressed it flat then stitched it down to the front of the dress.
Finally the ribbon tie was added because truthfully my piping at the v-neckline was woefully inadequate. Don't know what I did but I couldn't stand the thought of removing all of that piping and redoing it. Camouflaging it just seemed like a better way to go...and this short piece of ribbon was in the stash. A piece that I found while digging around looking for the original black & white ribbon.
This dress was underlined with white rayon bemberg lining because I've found that cottons slide better with something silky next to them. A few stats:
Black & White cotton pique
22" black invisible zipper
1" wide Black & White striped ribbon
1/2" wide black & white striped ribbon
Linen bias binding
White rayon seam binding
It was a pretty involved sew and took quite a bit longer than the first two. It also involves a lot of hand stitching...first on the bias binding that I used at the neckline and the armholes. Second at the slit in the dress front and finally on the hem. The best thing about the interlining is that all of the hand stitches were stitched into the interlining and not the fashion fabric.
A few more pics...
I've cut out the purple ponte cardigan but it will have to wait to be sewn because I've moved onto my version of the Lace Dress. Since I'm pretty far into the construction process, it will probably be next...or maybe not...the purple cardigan may yet show up...