Sunday, June 10, 2012

They were burning a hole in my pocket...

What are you wondering?  Why two gift certificates from Mood!  So I trekked over to Mood during lunch on Friday - it was a rare slow day at work - to use them.  I originally went to see if they had any bright orange ponte knit.  Of course, there was none...lots of pretty colors and I almost went for a turquoise one...but it wasn't what I really wanted.  However, George, the wonderful Mood Sales Associate, saw how dejected I was and asked if there was anything else I might want.


That's when I remembered that Meg had written about some lovely silks on the Mood Sewciety Blog so George and I moseyed over to the silk department.  Okay I have to admit that as much as I admired those designer silks, I would never have paid full price for them on my own.  But free money, free money means buy what you wouldn't normally! 


Here is the Valentino panel photographed on my fabric wall...emphasis on my! *smile*

That beautiforius panel only got me through one gift certificate...so I rambled around in the silk bin and found another print that was screaming my name...this one is by Dolce & Gabbana...






Two yards for a simple summer shift dress with a china silk lining worn with a light summer cardigan...pretty dontcha think!?!  These last two yards brought me all the way to the end of the second gift certificate with a little assistance from my credit card. It was a good day at Mood!  And I was thrilled with these two precious beauties...which took absolutely no time to purchase...and since I still had time left on my lunch hour...I went across the street to SIL.


SIL Threads is a wonderland of notions and even though I don't go often, I needed to add to my rayon seam binding stash and SIL has every color under the sun. This trip I picked up yellow, shades of orange and shades of purple. Each 100 yard roll is $9.45, one of the cheapest prices I can find in the district. Now if you can't make it to NYC and you're looking for it on the internet...Fabric.com has it for $9.00 per roll here.


So I got back to work with a smile on my face with two pieces of amazing fabric and enough seam binding to bind up quite a few garments!


...as always, more later!





19 comments:

  1. Mmmmm!!!! What eye candy! I wish I had a Mood within driving distance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous eyecandy. The blue one is really speaking to me. I must admit that my gift certificate is feeling pretty hot in my pocket as well. I look forward to seeing what you create with these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I handled, and drooled, over that Valentino print when I was at Mood during the PR weekend. A male sales associated showed me the coordinating chiffon. So happy to know it went to a good home and will be made into something fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. Those are just beautiful. Please tell us you are going to use the Valentino soon, I am dying to see what you would do with it. Unlike Shams, I am glad there isn't a Mood within driving distance, I would likely end up living alone with massive debt surrounded by piles and piles of fabric, and would end up on Hoarders. 8-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful colors. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    BTW, how is seam binding used?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What do I really think?......... I think you are trying to make me jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such beautiful taste in fabric. These are lush. I think gift certificates should definitely be spent on treats you wouldn't normally allow yourself.
    I can't wait to see what these fabrics are made into.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, you got the Valentino panel! The sales staff in our silk department went nuts when this came in recently. It's so pretty. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely fabrics, you are so lucky to go there on your lunchtime! I would love to see a photo of the seam binding in action, I have thought about ordering some but want to see how it is used first. how does it differ from bias tape?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!!!!

    Your impeccable taste leaves me in awe.
    Cannot wait to see your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy for your gift certificates and your scores! Beautiful silks. You are so blessed to be able to go into a quality fabric store like Moods. I know though, with your skills and imagination, you do those blessings justice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous!Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You picked up two gorgeous fabrics!!! I hope they provide you with great inspiration!!!! Can't wait to see what they become. BTW, I'm curious, do you use this seam binding t finish off necklines & armholes? Or do you use it to finish off interior seams instead of a serger? Just curious on your use. I've been debating purchasing some. BTW, it'$7.45 at Wawak.com--they've recently merged with Atlanta Thread Co. I get their catalogs in the mail:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go on. Rub it in. The closest plan for me to schlep to is Joanns. Boo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo, you lucky girl! I can't wait to see what that silk becomes - just luscious! Fabric gift certificates are the best. I'm the same way you are. I totally use them as an excuse to get something fancy that I otherwise wouldn't even consider. Budget? What budget??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous! (And, of course, I'm jealous.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing pieces of fabric. Congratulations on getting them! Thanks for the tip on the seam binding.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! I totally agree that it feels more OK to splurge when it is a gift voucher, can't wait to see these made up - don't leave them marinating too long!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails