Sunday, June 24, 2007

Simplicity 4093

Since this is the "Summer of the Dress," I decided to make one more. Well, I am sure that I am going to make several more before I switch over to fall sewing especially since I haven't yet made a faux wrap one. And I just wasn't in the mood to sew something complicated this weekend. The dress in this pattern fit the bill.

First let me tell you that I did not finish the simple little dress. See I told you I wasn't much in the mood to sew this weekend, *smile*! But I wanted to show you the fabric and tell you a little about the dress.



Pattern first: Simplicity 4093
Misses'/Women's Skirt, Pants, Jacket and Dress or Top
The suggested fabrics for this pattern are ~ lightweight wool and wool blends, lightweight tweeds, sueded silks/rayons, silk linen, linen and linen blends, challis, crepe, crepe back satin, shantung, matte jerseys, lightweight pique, lightweight poplin and brocade. I bought this pattern last summer and I wanted to make several of the pieces. I almost made the jacket and pants last fall but as usual other things came into play and pushed this one out of the way.


Fabric:
2 yards of a rayon knit from Metro Textiles. I bought this fabric back in May when I went to Metro Textiles with Karla. I originally thought that I wanted a top from this fabric but when I saw it laying on top of one of the piles this afternoon I thought why not?!



I don't think this dress is suppose to be made using a knit. But that's how I saw it. So I made some basic alterations to the pattern, cut it out and sewed the dress up. I tried it on and realize that I have some simple alterations to do to the dress to make it fit better. But I am just really not in the mood ~ so here is where I left the dress:


I know, I know more hanger shots! But this is the best I can do right now. I am sure that I will have an update next weekend. It's just suppose to be a simple knit dress that I can wear on those really hot days when nothing else works! And that's all the sewing I did this weekend...Can you believe it? *LOL*

19 comments:

  1. I think the dress looks great, I love that fabric. I'm sure it looks fantastic on you, because I know how you do! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That print is really good-looking. I'm sure when it is finished you'll love wearing it. And btw, sometimes taking a break from sewing is a good thing - glad you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful and I really love the fabric! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that fabric! It will look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good so far - I love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am absolutely taken in by that fabric. Carolyn, I would have a room full of fabric too if I was that close to the Garment District.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think those circles are an inspired choice of fabric for that dress.
    Please don't let Mardel's and my sewing blah's be getting to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great on the hangar!

    I hear you about wanting a simple knit dress that you can wear when it's hot - I've been thinking the same thing myself lately.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Carolyn! That fabric is fantastic! The dress was the perfect choice to showcase that great print. LOL! I can't believe you were not in the mood to sew something complicated - all I can say is "welcome to my sewing world :-)"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fabric!!Once you put it on I know it will look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That IS fantastic fabric! I love the large scale! A lot of the fabric I use has a very small scale because I cut it into very small pieces.

    I want to sew on my domestic, but the projects I have to sew on it are not at the sewing stage. I have three planned, but realize I need to dye the fabric myself. I am in the mood to sew, but not in the mood to just dye fabric.

    I have been sewing on my Juki LZ industrial, but still not good enough on it to do any detail. I need better control. More practice. And now I think I have to overdye the fabric I dyed for the next part of THAT project! Agh!

    ...and batik on 10oz duck is more of a challenge than I expected!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the fabric! I know I've asked you before about where you purchase fabric in the NJ area--and you were so kind to offer me advice but of course I forgot to email!! But definately going to NYC this summer and will be checking out Metro's stuff. Love your blog.

    Jeannie W.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that fabric Carolyn, and I think it is an inspired choice for that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great dress... love the lilac/blues/sage colors. The Simplicity 4093 pattern, would it be user friendly for a beginner... I like the pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thhink you're right - that fabric is more suited for a dress than a top. It will be great when you finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a great dress, perfect for summer! Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so glad I came across your blog. I just moved to Florida from Vermont, and having donated most of my corporate work wear to charity when I went to VT, I am left with practically nothing to wear to job interviews, or to work. Your blogging has inspired me to come up with a plan to get organized and get sewing some corporate appropriate wear that looks and fits me fantastically! I am currently interviewing in a pretty navy blue linen suit that I made just a few days after I got here, but I want a little more variety, and something to wear in case there's a second interview! Keep up the amazing sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely dress, Carolyn. The fabric is gorgeous and really makes the simple dress pattern pop! I have this pattern and yet to make something from it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Carolyn,
    I usually am a lurker on all the blogs and have recently created my own. I enjoy reading yours so much and it is one of the many that I find sewing inspiration. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see this dress on you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails