Sunday, June 10, 2007

More Embroidered Pieces


In my opinion, some fabrics should not linger in your collection. Some fabrics have a shelf life and should be used right away. These fabrics are usually trendy pieces ~ pieces bought that readily identify with a RTW garment that is hot now. If you hold onto these pieces and use them later, the finished garment usually looks old or stale.

Eyelets, printed eyelets and big-eyed eyelets are trendy fabrics in my book. I bought several pieces earlier this year and I am trying to get them sewn up quickly. One reason is because I obviously want clothing that looks like what everyone else is wearing now and another reason is that I don't want to hold onto these fabrics too long. I didn't purchase a huge quantity of these fabrics or much yardage. I actually only have two more eyelet fabrics in my collection, a black big eyed piece similar to the chocolate one I just used for the jacket/dress combo and a multi-colored printed embroidered one from Metro Textiles. I know that I want the black eyelet to become a spring trench type jacket but have no idea what to do with the other piece. I am sure something will come to me!



Because of this reasoning, I used the black pieces highlighted in yesterday's post first.

Patterns:
Sewing Workshop Mission Tank (TNT pattern) and TNT pants pattern.

Notions:
Black bias binding used to finish off the neckline and armhole sleeves of the top.

Fabric:
Black & White polka dot 100% cotton with an embroidered edge
Black herringbone linen

I think I found a new suit look for the "muslin" Butterick 4980! I will start work on the chocolate/pink combination next weekend. These pieces will take a little longer to come out of my sewing area since they involve a few more construction steps unless of course inspiration strikes first! As always, I will keep you updated on my sewing adventures!

20 comments:

  1. Wow, GREAT outfit! You are right about fabrics; I have some white eyelet (we call it English embroidery here) and some white cotton with embroidered circles in my stash and I should probably take your lead and make something out of them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, I love your outfit, and I *adore* your little white jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only one piece of eyelet and I will take your heed and make sure I make it up for early spring (September). Your new top is a nice addition to your corporate (or otherwise) wardrobe.

    BTW we call eyelet Broderie Anglais here - which probably translates (from French) - English embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the white jacket, great fit!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you about using up trendy fabrics. You look so fresh and cool in these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been I while since I've visited here and boy, have you been busy!

    Everything you've made is gorgeous. I really love the brown eyelet ensemble. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the tank and slacks looks so so great on you. you have opened my eyes to TNT patterns. i used to sew like that in high school but forgot the pleasure of creating using a pattern that already fits perfectly. Thanks for all your inspiration. What ever happened to the Sears machine??? cause i found the real janome 4800 on sale at sewing in the usa(google that)for $599.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are SO right about fabrics!!! great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for showing the black and white polka dot embroidered top...I have the same from Metro Textiles (isn't it the softest?) and it's lying on the cutting table. Your pix help me with choosing a design. I love what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks fantastic! Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a cute outfit! It looks so stylish. I think one of the next fabrics that I am going to look for is one with the embroidery at the bottom and make a cute summery top.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect! Your use of the border is clever and you look chic, not stuffy! Lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an adorable outfit! I"m always amazed at hour professional your stuff looks - I only hope to be that good someday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice ensemble... love the top and the embellishment. I have a few eyelet pieces... I guess I should work something up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carolyn - I'm late to the party. Your TNT patterns are inspiring to me. I love the new tank with the little white jacket! I've got to get busy working on mine!!! g

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm lovin' that embroidered border peeking out from under the jacket - just so you know ;)
    and Thank you ma'am for the reminder to stitch up the trendy stuff ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carolyn,
    You look great!

    You are inspiring to me because you finish items!!!!!


    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. I *love* this outfit! I would wear that to work in a heartbeat. That jacket is perfect over your top and pants. I like your jacket better than the Vogue one I just did - and your jacket must be where I got the idea to add a button closure to the yoke.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great summer outfit. I love the border on the top.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails