Tuesday, January 05, 2010

How about some pictures?

Up first - me wearing the TNT plaid sheath dress with the matching cardigan:



The dress alone:



Next, me in the cardigan/top and pants:



And here is the newest dress and the second piece in my SWAP Collection, "Midnight in the Oasis!"



This dress is made from my TNT dress pattern...well it's a SWAP collection people and the best way to get it finished is to combine a little old with the new! *LOL*

Some stats:

Pattern: 
TNT Dress Pattern

Fabric:
Wool/lycra blend from Fabric.com's Ralph collection

Notions:
22" zipper

Construction Tidbits:
1.  I drew new pattern pieces of the front and back of my TNT dress pattern to make a center front & side front piece and a center back & back side piece.  These pieces were used to make the princess seams in the dress front and back.  I left the dart  on the side front piece so that I would get a good bustline fit.

2.  I started sewing with the back pieces first and put the zipper in.  I only had a regular zipper so I used the center back application.

3.  I sewed the back side pieces onto the center back and pressed the seams toward the zipper.

4.  Next I sewed the center front pieces together leaving an opening from the neckline 5" from the top.



5.  Then I stitched the side fronts to the center front piece.

6.  The center front seams were pressed open and flat, the side front princess seams were pressed towards the center front piece.  I then topstitched the entire piece using the triple stitch feature on my machine stitching from top to bottom to ensure smooth lines.

7.  I also topstitched the bust darts.



8.  The back piece was then topstitched but as I topstitched around the zipper, I noticed the seams pulled away from the zipper.  It was a kewl affect so I kept it.



9.  The sleeve hems were pressed up and topstitching was added to the sleeve hems.



10.  The dress was then assembled as usual ~ shoulder seams and side seams sewn together.

11.  Instead of facings for the neckline...this dress is unlined...I made one inch bias binding from the fabric and used it to finish the neckline.  The binding was then handstitched to the body of the dress.

12.  The hem was also handstitched down.

Some more info:
I loved working with this fabric.  Even though fabric.com says that it is 96% wool and 4% lycra - the fabric had a very stretchy, spongy hand.  I used the topstitching to create vertical lines for a slimming appearance and to mimic the pinstripe fabric that will be used in several other pieces in the collection.

Originally I thought to add a lining to just the top of the dress, however, I settled on binding the neckline.  The fabric was very stretchy and I was concerned about using a regular rayon lining in the dress...plus the fabric is kinda dense so it doesn't really need the additional layer.

Even though the topstitching was time consuming and it took some time to find just the right shade of tan...I sewed slowly because this is the first time that I used this stitch on the Janome 6600...I also had to make several samples to get the tension just right.  However, I'm glad I added it to the dress.  It makes the seams pop!

This is the second piece in my SWAP collection.  Both dresses will go with the jacket that I plan on making from Vogue 8623:



I feel like I'm right on track for getting my plan finished.  I'm making the more complicated pieces first then I will make the bottoms followed by the tops...and as always, more later!

47 comments:

  1. You are right that the topstitching really makes the dress. Can't wait to see the Vogue 8623 jacket, I've been eyeing that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful dress and the topstitching certainly does a gerat job. Love the v at the neckline as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love the topstitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. from a longtime lurker and fan, that dress is HOT! Well done! Can't wait to see the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress is a winner! Love the way the topstitching pops - it makes the dress.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I normally just lurk and read your blog but finally, I just felt compelled to post a comment. I just love the cardigan and dress outfit! They look super together and great on you. And there you are in pants....a whole different look from you in a dress (you are, it seems, the queen of dresses!) but still a great look for you. The trim on the cardigan is a wonderful detail that takes the cardigan from just a regular piece to something really special.

    And, the navy wool/lycra rendition of your TNT dress is fabulous! When I looked at the first picture, I thought you had used trim along the seams and thought it looked great. reading further, I realized you'd topstitched everything. What a great look and how flattering the dress is on.

    I don't like the way dresses look on me but I sure do like the many versions of your TNT patterns that you have made over the past year. It goes to show what a good TNT pattern and some creativity (and great sewing skills) can accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! That dress is so slimming!!!! I want one! Love your photos and step-by-step instructions....another winner!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The new dress is extremely stylish - I'm looking forward to seeing this collection grow. Love the other dress/jacket combo too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the topstitching, its very eyecatching

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with everyone else, the top stitching is sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love love love the top-stitching on your dress! It really looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in love with your navy dress. So much so that I had to buy the fabric. What kind of thread did you use for the topstitching? Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome!! That topstitching is perfect and it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your top-stitched dress is amazing. The lines look wonderful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the topstitching on the gray dress. You must feel so snuggly warm in that beautiful dress! I also bought some of the Ralph Lauren wool and wish I bought more because every time I touch it I think of how nice it would be to have an entire winter wardrobe made of it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love this version of your TNT dress. The color is fantastic on you and the topstitching adds elegance and fun at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful dress, the topstitching really adds so much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice take on your TNT dress. I really like your pant outfit. It's very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A wonderful dress! It will go perfectly with pinstriped fabric. I really like the navy/tan combination.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The topstitching is gorgeous. I love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this dress too, especially the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the topstitching and the neckline! Great pics of you modeling the collection, too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay, you have me curious about the topstitched dress fabric. Is it like a doubleknit?

    ReplyDelete
  24. That dress is fabulous! I love that you went with the topstitching to tie in with a pinstripe you're planning to use with another piece. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG. That dress is FAB! You are the queen of dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Totally love the topstitching on that dress and especially the neckline. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is gorgeous and so flattering! And, I STILL covet those shoes :>)

    Lynda in LV

    ReplyDelete
  28. Theresa in TucsonJanuary 05, 2010 12:00 PM

    Lovely topstitching. My Bernina does that stitch so I will have to remember that for my embellishments. I just love the navy blue dress.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the dress! That topstitching just makes it pop! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your Midnight in the Oasis dress is totally chic and elegant. What a wonderful version of your TNT - I love it and it suits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love that Midnight in the Oasis! Thanks for the details. I'm sure to copy it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. The topstitching really makes this dress. I like the neckline as well and the seaming is very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yay for pictures! I love, love, love the topstitching on the black dress. Super detail!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful clothing, all of it. The topstitching really makes that dress sing.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The topstitching on those princess seams is sensational! Very flattering. Love the lacy touch on the cardigan as well.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The topstitching on the dress is fantastic. It works well on the dress. That Vogue jacket will look wonderful with it. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great job on the topstitching; it works really well with the shape of the neckline, which I think is super flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm with everyone else-- the topstitching is just fantastic. Makes the dress. I am astonished how much you can accomplish in such a short period of time! I have been trying to psyche myself up for days to begin the chore of preparing a new pattern and cutting out the fabric...(that's the part I hate!)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I really like the topstitching. It's such a lovely dress and it's going to look great with the jacket. All I've done is cut out my SWAP. I really need to start sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your topstitching is just perfection. Another wonderful ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
  41. You look fabulous in those outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Carolyn, you always manage to impress me. What great combination garments and the dress with topstitching is absolutely TDF. Super!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm sure I keep on saying this about different garments, but the topstitched black dress is probably my favourite version of your TNT dress so far (for now!). I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  44. You had me at "topstitching" Carolyn! Great job!

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love the dress on you; you did a superb job detailing the dress with topstitching. That navy Ralph Lauren wool is a very hi-end fabric. I kind of went nuts buying Vera Wang and Ralph fabrics from Fabric.com this year.

    I started with about 5 yards of the black wool-lycra. It was so nice I ordered another 18 yards when there was a sale. I also bought the grey with blue pinstripe and the brown wool-lycra. Then there was another sale, so I picked up 10 yards of the Ralph navy wool-lycra. OMG, the navy fabric is unbelievable! When I went back to buy more they were sold out. Did you know that it is a double-faced wool lycra? The two layers can be peeled apart for Chado Ralph Rucci or De la Renta type construction. Ralph Lauren must have used this particular fabric in his collection line. Fabric.com did not differentiate between the navy and the other wools in the same category, although they are very different weaves.

    Now that the Vera and Ralph fabrics are $1.95, I have done my final(OK, perhaps I stretch the truth a bit) stock up and ordered nearly 100 more yards of Vera and Ralph fabrics. This is in addition to major stash-building all year long. I can't imagine that there will ever be deals this good again....and I've been buying fabric for a very long time. With a 30% off coupon it was an amazing deal.

    I love seeing what you have done with the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'm new here but I love your blog and your pictures are so inspirational. I am in love with the ruffled cardigan. Fabulous idea. One question(dumb probably - what is a TNT dress). I'm plus sized too. I'm just back into sewing recently after many years break and would love to create something like the imaginative wardrobe you have created.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails