Saturday, April 04, 2015

Thinking about Spring Sewing

I think spring is finally peeking it's head above the last of the snow since the trees are starting to grow buds...so I guess thinking about spring sewing is okay now. Especially since my new wearable muslin dress was made from a floral print which is one of the trends for spring.



Personally I love florals. I have quite a few pieces of fabric in the collection in vivid floral prints, so there will definitely be more garments sewn from them this spring/summer. 

All of the pictures in this post were taken from the Spring 2015 Full Beauty magazine. I needed some examples of garments on plus size women because I have enough challenges with fit this season!

The other trends for Spring/Summer 2015:

White on White ~



I've recently made a white top, Vogue 8209, and next up on my cutting table is the white ponte to make a four gore flippy skirt to go with the top. This will be a great white on white outfit that will go with any number of cardigans in my wardrobe.

Pastel Power ~



Not only is this shown as a pastel but a pastel print in the pants. I've been on the fence about printed pants for my plus size body. Don't know if I'm still going to indulge but this does make me rethink my stance.

Highstyle Jumpsuits ~



I know jumpsuits are hot, hot, hot right now...and I guess I should get on the jumpsuit train...but I wore this once...and I have some not so pleasant memories of trying to wiggle out of them in the ladies room. So even though there are a couple of cute jumpsuit patterns and I even own one...this is a wait and see if I have enough time to sew one this season.

Neutral Terrority ~



Is it just me or does this feel like a repeat.  There were plenty of patterns like this in the pattern catalogues a couple of years ago and probably still in your pattern stashes.

Brights, Brights, Brights ~



Now this is so me!  I want to add a lot of color and prints to my wardrobe this season. I have loads of brightly colored fabric...I just need to figure out how I want to use it.

This is a very general direction in which my sewing will go this spring/summer ~ especially since the real emphasis will be on fitting ~ and this will primarily be the background noise.

...always more later! 

19 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of that magazine. Cool! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either! It just showed up in the mailbox and for a change I needed some plus size inspiration.

      Delete
  2. You've had a great start to your 2015 sewing with some beautiful clothes already! Why not add those print pants...I personally feel they will look great on you! Can't wait to see more of your outfits for this year and hope you decide to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra - I'm on the fence about them - leaning more towards trying them than not!

      Delete
  3. I agree, jumpsuits are a comeback that I won't try again. I too remember the difficulty of wearing them.
    There seems to be an 80's theme in the fashions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie - I love all the versions showing up but having been there, done that, I just can't drum up the necessary thrill to invest precious sewing time on something I've worn before.

      Delete
  4. Nice options! The pink floral skirt and pink top are gorgeous! Pink and yellow are so spring. I like how that outfit says it softly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh! I love the layout in this magazine!! Really perfect inspiration for me right now. A little floral jacket/cardigan-like garment in the top pic, I want one!... I think I know what I'll be doing later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made my one and only jumpsuit back in the 70's and getting in and out of it in the bathroom was why it was my one and only! I made Alex a floral skirt, that faux leather, and she loves it. I have a pair of black and white floral brocade pants which I like a lot,but this trend seems to be more colorful. I have several pairs of print pants, two in animal prints and depending on length and width I think that it's doable.
    I am loving the bright color mix, and while I've been toying with adding color I'm not sure I am ready for this! Maybe in knits as lounge or work out clothes to start will work for me. I like the magazine. Is it a monthly mag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy - I have no idea if this is a monthly magazine or not. I didn't sign up for it so if I get more issues I will let you know.

      Delete
  7. Does floral really ever go out of style? I have a hard time wrapping my head around putting printed pants on this plus size body, but you have worked so hard with your weight loss, I think you deserve a pair of print pants to go with all that hard work! I so badly want a jumpsuit (restroom trips be damned) but just am not sure where I would even start to make something that works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia - I so understand what you're saying about the printed pants. For the jumpsuit maybe try the new Khaliah Ali one from McCalls?!

      Delete
  8. I'm totally diggin' florals right now. I have one on the cutting table and might have ordered about 5 more pieces from fabric mart yesterday. UGH. Well - knit dress will be amazing for vacation, right? g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me - I LOVE florals and have way more floral fabric than most. Can't wait to see your new dress!

      Delete
  9. I love floral prints also. I purchased several rtw pants and tops in floral prints last summer. I will definitely be incorporating more into this spring/summer wardrobe using the patterns that I have in my stash. I think you should give the printed pants and jump suit a shot this spring. I am sure they will look good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice.examples, I.do the same with my Main & Monre and Astro catalogs. I've cut out a few pica I would like to recreate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVELY INSPIRATION - I MUST GET STITCHING!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails