This is a simple v-neck or u-neckline shift dress with side darts and with or without short sleeves. The pattern envelope adds a sash to give it some waist definition. Since my waist left the building years ago, I omitted that. No need to emphasize a feature that doesn't exist, if you know what I mean!
This is a simple sew. What I was most concerned about was getting a good fit through my belly and butt since those are the areas I carry the most weight in. It's a simple A-line shaped dress with a little waistline shaping so I thought it would work for me. BUT let me stress that this is NOT a plus size pattern. The largest size is a 20. I bought it knowing that I would use my TNT dress pattern as a base to enlarge it.
Supply List ~
3 yards of linen/cotton print from Fabric Mart
(This was purchased in the last six months & there are still prints like this online)
1 yard of blue piping - from the collection
2 7/8" buttons - from the collection
1 white 14" invisible zipper
Pattern Alterations ~
- I did my typical sandwich of my TNT pattern, the new pattern and a piece of tracing paper to make a new front and back pattern piece. If you've read my blog for any length of time, you've seen that process here several times.
- I added 4" to the cut-off line between the short and longer sizes. Then added 2" more inches to the hemline for a total of 6" inches to maximize the dress.
Design Changes & Sewing Info.~
This is a simple style and a I knew it would need an amazing piece of fabric to make it work for me.
I added pockets to the dress front instead of using the side seam pockets from the pattern. Because I matched the pocket fabric to the dress front, they aren't obvious unless I put my hands in them. That's why I added buttons to the front but I'm not sure that makes much difference either.
An invisible zipper was added to the back of the dress. While the pattern doesn't give instructions for a closure, I knew I'd never get the maxi dress on my body without a closure.
I added piping to the neckline to give it some distinction dithering over whether or not to add it to the armholes, ultimately ended up not adding it there.
Making the dress sleeveless, I omitted the facings, just turned under a 5/8" seam allowance, pressed and stitched. The hem was turned under 5/8", pressed and stitched leaving a slit on one side...and the dress was done.
A few photos ~
Honestly I was worried the dress wouldn't fit. That I hadn't added enough space to make the dress wearable for me. I wanted a semi-close fit ~ not tight and not loose ~ for this dress. I think I achieved that.
At first I thought this would be a one and done for this pattern. Then my hand touched another one of the linen/cotton prints, so there will be more. I wore it to work on one of those hot, humid days and it was THE BEST wearing dress. It was comfortable and cool to wear. I was well put together without being overdressed. It was perfect!
So I've made another one and there are two more cut out waiting their turn to be sewn up. THIS is the dress I've been wanting all summer!
...as always more later!