This piece is the keystone of my collection. It was the first piece that I put on my list when I was deciding what to make. This dress did go through a few variations before I settled on this one.
100% worsted wool crepe in black purchased from Fabric Mart's Sample Cut Club.
Vogue 2090 - View B. This pattern is OOP and a TNT favorite of mine. I know that someone recently purchased one from Ebay so the pattern is out there, if you are willing to look for it! This is a great shirt dress that has "the curve" already drawn into the pattern. It is easy to sew and the collar and stand apply quickly and neatly to the dress. The pattern cover describes the dress as semi-fitted, A-line dress, above ankle, has collar, collar band, shoulder pads, mock front bands and above elbow sleeves.
A dozen buttons from M&J Trims
- changed the sleeves from short elbow length to full length - I used the sleeves from the jacket pattern to do this because I figured the armhole dimensions would be drafted similarly for the jacket and the dress. This was a second use of the long sleeves - I used them in a jacket I drafted from the dress pattern last summer.
- shortened dress from ankle length to just below knee length
- added a lining to the dress
- dyed some lace and added to the hem of the lining
- embellishments: piping added to the collar, a satin foldover bias trim added to the sleeve hems.
How I plan on wearing it: I see this piece as not only a dress but also as a jacket. Here is a list of how I will wear this piece.
- Dress alone
- Dress with Sewing Workshop embellished tank
- Dress and felted wool crepe jacket
- Dress with Sewing Workshop tank and pants
- Dress with gray reversible dress
- Dress with lilac reversible dress
- Dress with Dana Top and pants
Conclusion: This is a TNT (tried 'n true) pattern that I will make again. In my closet I presently have two out of linen (the tea dyed dress is one of these) and one out of a coppery silk duppioni. This latest is probably the most versatile version that I have made. It will be a hard working piece in my SWAP and will be "a great out of the closet and onto my body dress" for important days at work!And that's Day One!