Monday, June 09, 2008

Vintage Inspiration

Vintage Inspiration:


plus a great piece of fabric from Fashionista Fabrics:


plus TNT dress pattern = New finished dress:


It was a hot, hot, hot day here on the East Coast...and I don't do hot so I stayed inside today in the air conditioning and sewed.

This dress has been running around in my head for awhile now and today was the perfect time to turn it from flat fold fabric into something that can be worn to work.

Pattern:
TNT dress pattern without sleeves

Fabric:
Paisley silk twill from Fashionista Fabrics

Notions:
22" zipper, lining fabric & a couple of yards of lace

Construction:
There is nothing new and/or exciting about this dress. The fabric is the main component and boy is it speaking loudly. I originally purchased this fabric to do a Tory Burch knock-off tunic but after seeing the vintage pattern's design I used it for a dress.

The silk is lightweight and I added a few touches to make it mine. A little flat binding/piping at the neckline:



Lace added to the lining so that it seems more like a slip than a lining:


The jacket is my Butterick 4980 wearable muslin - made last year from a linen jacquard tablecloth and working perfectly with the optical illusion that is my dress this year:

Even though the dress has a very big and vivid print, I like it! I only used two of the four yards that I bought from Melodye so I probably can get the tunic out of the remaining fabric.

BTW, I did finish one more SW Mission Tank to go with an existing skirt but I will show that to you tomorrow. Hope you had a productive sewing weekend too!

And go Celtics!!!


36 comments:

  1. I love the fabric and your TNT dress is just right for it. It is a big print but the colours are quite subtle, it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dress! That fabric is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your TNTs always have a little extra detail! Great fabric, too.
    -Nneka

    ReplyDelete
  4. It loooks great on you! The pattern, the colours, everything worked out fabulous!
    A very elegant outfit! Do your colleagues comment your sewing projects? I don´t like to tell, because they will look, ask, look again and I feel not very compfortable with this kind of attention.
    Best regards to you from Germany
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really did find the perfect fabric, didn't you? Fab dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fabric and dress are both gorgeous! Your fabric is very close in color to the paisley pattern on the dress in the center of the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another lovely outfit. Great fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it. love it, love it
    that fabric is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent use of that fabric - now I need to make up my piece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress is fabulous. I love paisley, but haven't used it in a while. I've got to start looking for some.

    (Oy! Another Celtic fan! You've got to meet my brother!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I say Fabulous... great dress and the fabric is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's really pretty - I love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous dress, the fabric is perfect for the style and I really like it with the jacket, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! LOVE the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love paisleys! You look beautifu!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! The fabric and the style are perfect together. And the jacket makes the ensemble. You look fabulous, daahling.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think we had the same day, hiding out in the AC and sewing. Yours is not only finished, it's fabulous. I love that fabric on you - and it's so "Yes, it's 100 degrees out here, but don't I look cool and fabulous?"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolute perfection!!! Love the fabric, the style and it looks totally fab with the jacket. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another fabulous dress! You really have a great eye for turning fabric and a basic pattern into something special.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The fabric looks absolutely perfect!! The complete set with the little crop jacket looks magazine ready!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I so love this fabric! I think I am recalling a very stylish dress my mom had in the 60s....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! I loved your touch of lace to the lining -- very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just lovely! You look wonderful in this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning! Love the dress and colour - it really suits you.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh wow! I love that fabric! So nicely done - you look cool and comfortable, not sacrificing at all for fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice dress, and it's perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That dress turned out wonderful. I am so impressed by what you get done in a weekend. g

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great dress! What I liked most was the lace as part of the lining to make it feel like a slip. Pretty cool!

    Regards,
    Lory

    ReplyDelete
  29. The fabric is especially pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's all perfect!! What a great use for that fabric. I get some of my favorite patterns from the same thrift store (but in AZ)!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great dress! And, it looks really smart with the jacket. I love the fabric of the dress. I will have to check out Fashionista Fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You and Gigi with your big engineered prints. Makes me want to pull out a print and sew something fast.
    I swear they held that fabric back from the era when they printed the pattern, and then put it up for sale in a timely manner just so that you could make it.
    Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous! I love how you used the print.
    You say there's nothing new and/or exciting about this dress. IMHO, the excitement comes from using a TNT pattern that goes together fast and you know it will fit. Then again, it doesn't take much to excite me.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Can I just say that you look totally pulled together, professional, pretty and you know how to pick fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  35. oh wow, I spent a good bit of time drooling over that fabric on fashionista! you have great taste. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails