Saturday, August 27, 2011

So far its just raining...

...and I haven't sewn a stitch!  It's been so gray, cloudy and rainy and then there's that crazy need to sit in front of the TV and watch the newscasters explain just how much rain we are going to get, how high the waves are going to be and how hard the wind is going to blow...

...that when I finally pulled myself from in front of the television, I picked up one of the many fashion magazines that have come to my apartment in the last couple of weeks and then I ended up surfing the internet! 

After that I had to make a few Powerpoint slides of inspirational ideas...I know all of you Pin Interest peeps would have just saved the images to that program...but I use Powerpoint so much at work that this is my first thought...drag it into Powerpoint, resize and turn it into a jpeg...seemingly old school now!  *LOL*
Anyway, here's what feeding my creative urges now:

This YSL Dress reminded me so much of McCalls 6395


Several dresses from various sites


I love me some Jason Wu!


More Jason Wu!


Finally can I share a 10 Fall Must-Haves all Fashionistas should buy/sew/own this fall courtesy of the September 2011 People Stylewatch issue:
  • A Bold Red Piece
  • A Pony Hair Piece
  • Something in a Southwestern Print
  • A Feminine Menswear Piece
  • A Chunky Cable Knit Sweater
  • Heeled Loafers
  • A Longer Dress
  • A Metal Choker
  • A Structured Bag
  • A Mixed Material Coat or Jacket

They even provide a little pull-out card to put in your purse and take shopping with you to make sure that you get everything!  It's pictured above.  For fashion buying/sewing/owning, I think this mag was the most "realistic."  No over the top designer gear with 4 and 5 digit price tags for a garment.  The editors made sure to include an example in the high, mid and lower price range with sources as diverse as designer (Kate Spade, Oscar dela Renta, Tom Ford), JCPenny, H&M, Forever 21, The Loft/Ann Taylor, J. Crew, Banana Republic and a host of internet sources.  I really like the fantasy of the other fashion magazines but if you just want one source of what's hot for Fall 2011, spend your $3.99 USD for this one!

Hopefully we will wake up with power in the morning and I will sew then...if not it's a book, surfing on my iPad, some card games with my daughters while we hunker down and wait for the hurricane to pass.  If you are anywhere on the East Coast in the hurricane zone, my thoughts are with you and please be safe!

...as always, more later!




15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the weather update, cause I've been wondering.

    Other PC-based friends of mine love OneNote (from Microsoft) for that sort of bulletin board functionality.

    Thanks for the report on the mags and the trends. I also find this stuff fascinating but don't keep up with the fashion mags as you do.

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going through the same thing!!! I wanted to sew all day - as long as the power didn't go out. I traced a tank top and got distracted by the Weather Channel. Then I got distracted playing Angry Birds! School starts next week and I won't have this much time. I'm going to be sorry I wasted so much time today waiting for Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about you and those on the coast, plus I have family in Jersey & NY. Stay safe. We're suppose to get a little severe weather but probably not as bad as the coastal folks so stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, there are a few things on that list I might go for, like a mixed material coat or a heeled loafer. I always wear "feminine menswear" so that doesn't count.
    But I don't think I'll go for any southwestern prints. That is not sitting well in my head.

    Fingers crossed we get through this storm and, dare I hope? I do- I hope we have power. But I realize this may be wishful thinking.

    I painted my kitchen today. That concludes a PIA project, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about you guys as I've been glued to the TV myself. Love that Jason Wu number. I.Want.That.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have not sewn a stitch because I am hypnotized by the weather channel. I did manage to work on a necklace that had been a wip too long. I use powerpoint often for my photos. Great lineup of inspiration dresses.

    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Irene passed us by in my area, delayed a trip to SC on Saturday, going on Monday now. I just don't have sewing mojo going yet; played and read on iPad, went through Harper's Bazaar and started on Vogue next.

    I like the Power Point idea, waitin on being accepted at PInterest and have used OneNote for copying and tracking fashion ideas.

    Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You would make everything on that list look good! How about a real pony tail? I've got one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you are doing ok and are safe:) Great inspirational looks! Those are some wonderful designs. Hope you get your power back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a thought Carolyn. With all the followers you have, you could put some ads on your site and make a little extra income for buying fabric. I notice blogs with fewer followers than you who have ads. Perhaps FabricMart would like one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear that you are safe. I have to say that I really like what your creatives urges are coming up with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This YSL dress reminds me of my school years, 70s style.
    Thank you for posting 10 Must-Haves for autumn, it justified my wish to sew for something red and a pony hair bag :).
    Good to read that you and your mom are safe and generally OK.

    ReplyDelete
  13. glad you fared well after the storm. Thanks for the magazine update...I'll be sure to pick it up tomorrow.
    Bold red dress? Absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did no sewing during the storm, but we did finish working on back-to-school goodies. And then school was cancelled! Thanks so much for the People Stylewatch list. I may have to go pick up that issue :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think Burda 8072 is an even closer match to the YSL dress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails