Thursday, September 13, 2012

Butterick 5147 Thrice

I made two really involved dresses during the sewcation.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that my garments are taking more time now because I do own a lot of clothing so I can take more time with my pieces.  However, I needed a palette cleanser. Something that worked well with the transitional garments I've already made.  So I guess I really am thinking about fall...just not ready to go all out wool sewing yet!

As the title of the post states, this will be my third version of this dress.  I've worn the other two dresses a couple of times this summer and I thought that I really need another one, two, or three of these in my wardrobe.  This dress is perfect for work because it's comfortable, easy to accessorize and fits my bodacious body well.  Now after working with fallish shades for the last two sewcation dresses, I wanted a bright, pretty color for this dress.  Something that will be cheerful to wear but still work in my corporate atmosphere...so I went with this bright magenta!  Okay I have a lot of black, brown and gray dresses...every once in awhile a woman needs a little bright, room bending color in her life!

Some stats ~
Pattern:
Butterick 5147

Fabric:
Magenta linen purchased from Mood.com

Notions:
red bemberg lining
black satin piping
22" magenta invisible zipper
Hug snug rayon hem tape

Construction Details ~
Since this pattern is now heading into TNT territory...I don't claim TNT status until a garment has been made 5 or 6 times...a bit much I know but there is always something new that the pattern and fabric can cough up for you to learn.  


I didn't make a lot of changes to the construction process just added a lining (the red because it made the magenta fashion fabric look so robust) to the dress and some piping at the neckline and armholes to break up the great expanse of fabric.  

A great simple colorful dress for work...a few more pics...




The temps have been cooler this week here in my corner of the world, so all of the sewcation dresses have been worn, as well as, the Valentino Dress was finally revealed to the outside world.  Tomorrow will see me wearing the Coldwater Creek knock-off dress also a first time wearing.  I'm really thrilled that this was a week of all new wears, somehow that makes my low sewcation output, bearable!

...as always more later!







28 comments:

  1. your dress looks lovely, the piping really gives it a great finish

    ReplyDelete
  2. The piping and overall colour are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great colour! Really suits you, and as always the dress looks so professional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The piping is a nice touch on a simple dress. You'll look fab in a sea of grey, standing out in your magenta dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new dress looks great, piping is always such a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's simple but I like it a lot. It can be dressed up or down and the color is so "right now."

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOvely, Carolyn--by the way, the Chado Ralph Rucci show featured a lot of hot pink--so I'd say colorwise you are ahead of the curve!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If a pattern works for me I will often make it up again straight away in a different fabric because I know it is going to work for me. I adore that happy bright colour you chose for your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I lOVE this. The color is gorgeous on you, and the style is perfect for the fabric and for you.

    Once again I immediately think, "Oh, I want one just like it!" and then remember I don't have your coloring and build. Drat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another lovely dress. You wouldn't think bright pink would be corporate appropriate - but it's stunning and I'm sure you fit right in. g

    ReplyDelete
  11. The piping gives a nice definition to the dress.
    Question for you, you have lots of clothing do you rotate what you wear or do you end up with favorites that you wear more often?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it.. The color is beautiful and looks great on you..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the dress Carolyn and the color is beautiful. Simply marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love this color on your "bodacious" body!!! :). Beautiful work definitely went into this dress! You ladies all amaze me in how you all get so much sewing done while holding down a full time job too! I MUST be doing something wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Palette cleanser" -- I love that! Gorgeous dress in a fabulous color! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Man, I love that color on you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely colour, and the contrast piping sets it off.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful color! I know what you mean about needing some color every once in a while. I've been toying with the idea of making a red sheath for work this fall... as soon as I'm ready to pull out the wools.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look fantastic in every colour! The pink is gorgeous on you. I love the piping detail.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It has been said already, but it bears repeating. You look fabulous in that color. Lovely dress.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have figured out how to get back here as I miss not being able to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. The two dresses especially the lace I LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The piping is a really nice touch against the pink; this is going to look utterly fabulous for the office!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this! What a great color! The piping is a nice touch, too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that color--very flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's a beautiful color and looks terrific on you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so envious of your sewcation. It was so productive. 3wonderful dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful dress. I must follow you. I must!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This may be a simpler style than the chocolate linen and lace dress but I do love this one too. The colour is gorgeous on you and the piping is subtle but it makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails