The gown is all done but the hand stitching and the buttonholes. I just can't handle any more little openings this evening...will finish up the hand stitching during the week. First a picture...
Next some stats...
Simplicity 7488 - Out of print Christening Gown called "Design Your Own"
1.5 yards rayon/silk satin from Moods
1 yard cotton batiste from the lining stash
1/4 yard lace from Moods
1/4 yard pearl piping
1/2 yard single pearl trim
2 yards 1" lace
(again all of these are from my notions stash)
70H Universal Needle
Single Stitch Foot for my sewing machine
I relied heavily upon Sandra Betzina's book, "Fabric Savvy" to start this project. Every question I had about which needle, stitch width and how to pre-treat the fabric was answered in this book.
It wasn't really a difficult gown to construct. It was more the sewing in miniature that got me. Those little sleeve openings ~ shew! The other thing that annoyed me was that the pattern instructions don't tell you to line the gown. However, the pattern pieces say to cut fashion fabric, as well as lining fabric.
Of course, the construction process was lengthened because I added lace to the bodice pieces...
...pearl piping to the neckline of the dress and lace to the hem of the cotton batiste lining.
I really wanted this to be a beautiful dress for a very special little girl. I'm now working on the jacket to complete the outfit and will have pics of the finished pieces later this week with the most awesome little leather ballet slippers that I found at Macy's yesterday.
...as always, more later!