Taking a deep breathe I picked the top up and realized that I could just stitch the facing down to the front of the top and hide the facing edges under the collar since it's quite wide. I followed the pattern instructions on finishing the collar by hand stitching it down...
...although the hand stitching is on the right side of the garment but again the collar hides that.
My version is sleeveless because of opportunity. See I had a limited amount of time to have pictures taken by my daughter...it was Super Bowl Sunday after all...and due to the challenge of getting the collar on the top, I hadn't finished it by the time she arrived. So I just tucked it under the cardigan but after we took the pictures I realized that I really liked it like way. Here's how it looks on Lulu now:
A few other things:
1. The darts needed to be raised like big time on the top. I guess I'm just not busty enough but those darts were so low it was ridiculous. I moved them up two inches but will adjust the pattern so that I get my bust points correct. Right now they are a little too close together.
2. I started with a 22W for the shoulders and bust area and a size 28W for the abdomen and hip area. The good thing about multi-size patterns is the ability to merge sizes.
3. Even with this adjustment, the top is close-fitting. And I really don't like close-fitting but thankfully this shirting has some lycra in it which helps. However, for the next version, I will add a back seam for some additional fitting since the original is cut on the fold.
4. The armholes are pressed under 1/2" and stitched down.
This is a wearable muslin. My collar needs work and the facing is not equal on both sides...but it will work for my first version. I have loads of shirting purchased from Fabric Mart last summer and I'm going to pull some of those out and make a couple more versions with and without sleeves. I don't really like button front shirts and I think this one will work perfectly for my figure and my wardrobe needs.
...and yes I will make up the tie that came in the pattern to accompany the top especially since it's already cut out...
...as always, more later!