from this fabric combination...
I'm also adding an inch or two to the hem because I'm going to wear it with a belt. I know, you're wondering who is this woman? But twenty thirteen is a new year. I've made a lot of garments these last couple of years, so I need to move in new directions. I don't want to sew the same thing over and over again.
I've made this dress before and it was so comfortable to wear. It looked professional with a black cardigan over it and it wore like I was wearing my pjs to work. A good thing for my wardrobe because we are entering the darkest days of winter and I'm developing a serious case of Winter Blues...so I need some colorful, fun, yet professional pieces to wear.
Here is the dress on Lulu...
Since I've made the dress before this time I constructed it totally on the serger. Do you know how fast it is to make something if you serge all the seams? Faster than fast! *LOL*
So my original idea was to have a totally solid back and a print front, that meant print sleeves and cowl on the front and solid sleeves and cowl at the back. Ummm, the idea was kinda goofy. When I started to lay the fabric pieces out that idea quickly bit the dust. I went with the print sleeves and cowl although I'd cut both pieces in the brown ponte knit too. The dress with just a solid back looked so much better and less schizophrenic than my originally planned dress.
I'm not sure if I cut this version larger (I tend to do that!) or if the fabrics behaved differently than my polyester knit version either way I ended up taking another 5/8" off both sides.
I also handled the cowl neckline differently on this one. First I cut the cowl pattern out halfway, just like the first one because even though I was originally drawn to the large cowl neckline in reality it is too much material at my neckline. However, I didn't fold it in half as the pattern instructs and stitch it to the dress' neckline. I just stitched it onto the dress, added a serged edge and let all the excess puddle around the front of the dress' neckline.
The sleeves were stitched to bracelet length and a 1" hem was turned up at the bottom of the dress. For some reason this version seems more shapeless than the first version, so as stated earlier I will be wearing a belt with it. Modeled shots will happen later...it's Super Bowl weekend and my daughter is hosting a Super Bowl party this weekend.
Honestly, I'm not sure if I like this dress. Hopefully hair and make-up, heels and jewelry will improve my outlook on the dress. I am moving onto the next print blocked dress which I'm calling the CK Dress.
...as always more later!