Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Butterick 5679 Color Blocked Dress Final

Okay I know you want to see this on me...so here goes...





A few stats ~
Fabric:
Print ponte knit from Mood NYC Store
Brown ponte knit from the collection - most likely from Fabric Mart

Notions:
A couple of strips of stay tape used in the shoulders
Some stitch witchery used in the hems before they were topstitched

A little more info...
Construction was covered in this previous post.  Adding some solid color to the front along with the belt helped break up the fullness of this dress and made me like it more.



Originally I'd pictured this with the brown cardigan shown above but when I dug the pink cardigan (that's very old ~ like 10 years old!) out and paired it with the dress it took it to another level!  Or as my daughter said, "pink is your friend!"

A few more pics...


Back with belt

Side view - print/solid view

Front w/belt - my least favorite view
I will never wear this dress without a cardigan
to break up the print!

Acting goofy during the photo shoot!

I've taken apart two of the pairs of pants and will work on the repairs over the course of the next two weeks.  Thanks for your suggestions about the pants slip/liner but I'm already wearing a couple of layers (like 4) on the bottom and just don't want to add another one.  So I will repair these pants and make another pair - the grayish ones from the City in Winter Collection - and that should give me enough pants to make it through the rest of the winter!


I'm only working three days this week because my extended President's Day weekend begins on Thursday.  The first project will be the Derek Lam Inspired Jacket and coordinating dress.  I will be home alone for the first two days so I want to take advantage of the fact that there will be no distractions to work on this complicated project.

...as always more later!




29 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dress, I can't believe that print is ponte, gorgeous. I like it with the pink cardigan, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pink is your friend! I can't believe all the lovely ponte prints you gals can find. I'm lucky to find grey. g

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh. Aaahh. The dress and your styling look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress with the pink cardigan. You are rocking it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your dress. It looks fantastic with the cardigans. Both the pink and the brown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome dress! With or without a sweater, it looks gorgeous on you. I like the pink sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks good with the brown cardigan, too. Such a versatile pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pink is definitely your friend. Love it so much better with the pink cardigan, as well with the belt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fabulous with the pink. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love what that pink does to the dress and your complexion. And what a great print! The dress looks terrific on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Though I haven't commented, I've been lurking and watching as you turn (churn) out one masterpiece after another. This dress is fabu!!! Yes, I agree, Pink is your friend. Wonderfully inspiringas always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful new set of dresses..I am really digging you with a belt, and I love the one in this photo shoot!

    You are looking great...it is either the belt or your workout!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look good in pink! This is flattering and looks great with the pink cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pink cardigan looks fantastic on and highlights the pink in the dress. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another gorgeous dress, just perfect for Winter. It looks great with the pink cardigan - another possibility would be a single coloured sleeveless cardigan to show off the dress's sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful dress. I love the color blocking. It makes it look so rich.

    ReplyDelete
  17. it's a great dress you look so nice I love it. I love how the back is plain and when you turn around WA LA!!! print!!! I also like your "goofy" pose because even being goofy you still look so poised.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great dress. Like the look with the ping cardigan. Enjoy your long sewing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Look at that! It's SO pretty on you, Carolyn! I really do love that pink.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This dress, with the cardigans, is another winner! The brown cardigan looks good, but the pink cardigan is WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this dress on you with the pink cardigan... they're a perfect duo :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice. I like it with the pink cardi, but I like it even better with the brown cardi.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yep, pink IS your friend. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the pink cardi with this dress, your daughter was correct, pink is your friend. I truly love this fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good to hear you are doing more pants. I get so cold in winter. I don't know how you can do dresses when it is cold. Here in Buffalo, we are wearing Cuddleduds under our clothes to stay warm in the office. The dresses are very sharp. Pink is you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Woar, that print is so fabulous!!! You've made the most of it with this lovely sheath dress, and the colours are beautiful on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This kills me. It is great! You are so creative these days it's hard to keep up. Thanks as always for keeping us inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this print! *love* If I didn't live outside the US, I'd order some, but MoodFabrics.com don't ship outside the US (unless I make a phone call, but what fun is that? I need to press that "Place Order" button!) Maybe that's a good thing....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails