Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The last pair of pants in the City in Winter Collection

I saw this image in an email and the idea of the longer cardigan, white shirt and a pair of pants resonated with me.  As I said in my last post, I didn't have much of a sewing mojo until I decided to resolve the basics issue in my wardrobe.  So this idea touched my creative nerve and brought my sewing mojo roaring back...on the last day and a half of my sewing vacay!  *LOL*

There is nothing new in the construction of these pants.  I started with my TNT pattern...so for all of you looking for pant fitting info., I have none to offer in this post.  I started working on this pants pattern almost 15 years ago and in the interim I've enlarged it to fit my growing abdomen/behind, changed the size of the legs and added length as needed.

I did add a half inch to each side of the front pieces only.  Some days I need a little extra in the abdomen and some days I don't. But I'd rather my pants have a more trouser fit than a pants fit...me and tight aren't besties like that!  I also added an inch to the hemline because I plan on wearing higher heels with these pants (but after seeing the pics, I think I'm gonna re-hem them a little shorter). 

Finally I lined them by serging the lining to the fashion fabric and then sewing the lined fashion fabric as one piece.  I finally settled on this application for lining pants for several reasons.

1.  I used the flat lining technique on a pair of pants two years ago.  I wear the pants but only when it's really cold and when I'm pushed up against the wall. By the end of the day that seam starts to irritate the heck out of my inner thighs.  I don't experience this with the serged seam.

2.  I haven't experienced lining failure since I started using this lining technique. Seriously!  It's probably because the two fabrics no longer work against each other.

3.  I'm tired of remaking pants.  My linings are shredding right at the inner thighs and I don't have this problem when the lining is serged to the fashion fabric.

Also, I love the heft the fabric has once the lining is attached directly to the fabric.  The pants feel weighter which is what I want in a pair of winter pants.  Don't forget that I wear elastic waist pants.  They just work for me and I'm now unrepentant about that fact!  *LOL*


Me attempting to "model" like the ad!
Why did my daughter think this was a good idea ~ LOL!

One more thing...I wear trousers and not pants.  Personally I abhor when pants cup the buttocks and give me a full view of what you're working with.  I like the look of trousers...where the pants fit the buttocks but then gently flow into the legs no cupping involved.  And for one time only...never to be seen again...I'm including a picture of the buttocks on my pants so you can see what I mean.


Lord have mercy can't believe I'm sharing this view with you!  *LOL*

I'm wearing these trousers with the cardigan which was the starting piece for the City in Winter Collection.  The cardigan is also the bridging piece bringing the brown and the gray pieces together. So there are now just two pieces left to finish in the City in Winter Collection...a skirt and a jacket from this gray wool crepe.  The two dresses and blouse are going away.  I have more than enough pieces in this collection to coordinate with each other so I'm calling it done when these last two pieces are sewn.

...more views...




See nothing exciting, sexy or slimming about these pants but very much needed in this weather!  BTW, based upon your comments, which I sooooo appreciate, my next post will be all about taking apart a pair of sewn-by-me pants and remaking them.

...as always more later!


43 comments:

  1. I like the jacket pant combo and the fit of your pants. You are such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous pants, love all the details you provide!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pants! And I agree that the "trousers" fit is superior ... especially for work! I'm not ready to make my own pants yet but I'm always on the lookout for nice-fitting trouser jeans: they are my pants Holy Grail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great on you! I've been scratching my head about lining pants and I like the idea of treating both fabrics as one, I have some lovely wool crepe just waiting to be made up!
    There is nothing wrong with an elastic waist! I have had so much trouble with standard waistbands on pants that this year is the year of elastic! It has give, is comfortable and is more forgiving with fit, gotta love that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm, I love the modeled shot! Seriously. You look beautiful and the outfit looks fabulous. Love, love, love those shoes! Do you still keep shoes at work and different ones at home so you don't schlep them back and forth?

    This is a great look on you and the backside doesn't look horrible at all. g

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great! I think you are being too hard on yourself with the comments on the back view. I think the pants are the perfect style for your figure. But then, aren't we all hyper critical of ourselves? You have such a good eye for color, style and pattern. I always look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A well made, well fitting pair of basic trousers is exciting! These look fantastic on you. I like the shot of you on floor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great. LIke the combo very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pants and cardigan combo. Both front and back view. There are not too many garments you make that I don't like. I think you are fabulous and your blog is top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So your trousers / pants are basically underlined with lining fabric, am I understanding you right? Where does your lining finish or did you underline the whole piece? They fit you really well too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you about pants and trouser and much prefer trousers and no cupping... and thank you for sharing a rare rear view as well LOL. I just finished making my second pencil skirt and have shared views of my rear view for all the world to see as well. I'm slowly working build up the courage to make a pair of trousers :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carolyn, I love your blog. The pants look great and I love the cardigan fabric. You inspire me to keep working on my sewing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is a perfect look for a cold day in the City. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for explaining the trouser lining technique. You look wonderful as usual. The elastic waist looks sooooo comfortable. You probably have it on your blog somewhere how to do that technique?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never knew re buttocks cupping difference between pants and trousers! Hehe. See, am learning something new each time i read your post. Elastic on the waist sounds so comfy...

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look great. Glad your mojo came back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice pants, and great outfit. I like pants. They elongate the body. Nice addition to your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the outfit.Looks great on you.. and I like your daughters idea of the floor pose..Pretty

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the "model" pose, but I'm curious - what's the book? :D

    The trousers look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The pants fit great Carolyn and Ilove the metallic cap-toed pumps.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooh I like your version better than the models! Great trousers, great cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You look awesome in the trousers. Love the shoes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The pants look perfect! I'm loving the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your trouser Carolyn, it fits nicely and a great wardrobe staple.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I too prefer the trouser, straight legged look. They are much more flattering on a wider variety of shapes and much more comfortable and versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've always perferred that style of pant as well. I think it's far more flattering than everything on display. They look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I totally understand your feeling about posting your back view video, I cringe everytime I take one myself but its all the head. That's your body and your pants look great on you, back and front.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your daughter has good ideas for photo shots. That's a great pose with you sitting on the floor!Thanks for the idea about using lining as a underlining. Duh...Why didn't I think of that? You have a fashionable, comfortable, and warm outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful effort on the trousers and sweater. I want to see the pics of you getting up from that pose ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like the model shot! And think there is nothing wrong with the bumm shot either - these pants are wonderfully flattering on you from every angle.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love them! It always feels great to finish a garment and to actually look good in it! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You look great from all views. Thanks for your trouser tips too. Personally I can not understand why some are down on elastic waists. Their waists must never change size perhaps

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful dress pants! Thanks for recommending the treat as one piece lining on pants. I have some fabrics stashed that a lining would let me use them for some pants and I just couldn't ever decide to be bothered with creating a pants' lining. It is so lovely to see clothing modeled by real people and not 7 foot tall skinnies. I always have to remind myself when watching the shopping channels how tall the girls are to get a realistic idea of how something might look on me or how long the cut is. Love your clothing makes and modeling.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Carolyn,
    It's been awhile, don't know why I've stayed away so long. I love reading your blog. I love these pants they look great and this post answered lots of questions for me about sewing the lining to the fashion fabric and then sewing them as one piece. I always wondered how well that would hold up and this makes perfect sense. I have a pair of unfinished pants that I'm going to rip out the seams and do this...and wow, that will get me back in my sewing room. I've been away much too long. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  35. aaaah how did i miss this post?! these fit you so beautifully. and i'm extra glad for the all important booty pose. i can never get that part right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wonderful! I absolutely love the photos in this post. And, as I've now been fitting pants for what feels like forever, I know what you were describing above. I think my new pants would be Carolyn approved!

    ReplyDelete
  37. That is a really beautiful outfit, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you so much for showing us how to make our clothes suit our figures! I will never be a little girl and you give such great advice on sewing technique. I never was a fan of tight pants, well maybe for 15 minutes in the 80s...

    ReplyDelete
  39. That looks wonderful.

    Confession: I am of a similar physique to you and need to take my wardrobe up a notch (new client where I need to be onsite more). I'd seen your blog before and had always admired your elegant and unique sense of style, so I came back to get some inspiration for sewing my own new clothes. I'm doing a SWAP that will include lined wool pants (Northern New England gets COLD). Imagine my delight that you've done the same thing.

    Thanks for doing this blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails