Thursday, February 14, 2013

I've reached that point again...

I'm overwhelmed with scraps!  While I've thought up a temporary solution, I'm throwing them into one of the white baskets I use to dye in, I'm going to need to come up with a permanent solution that doesn't involve throwing the pieces out. These aren't little scraps they're more than a quarter yard of fabric...big enough not to trash, too small to go back onto the fabric shelves.

I sew alot.  Don't laugh I know that's an understatement...but it's rare when I end up with just very small scraps of a fabric that I've used in a project.  Probably because I don't purchase fabric with a plan or if I do I end up using it differently...so scraps, lots of scraps.  These scraps tell my sewing journey for the last 18 months. That's how long I've been sewing in my new sewing room and prior to that everything was ditched.


trashcan beneath the computer table


That last corner of my sewing cave will need to be worked out sooner rather than later. I really feel like I'm wasting space and could use it so much better.  Because short of locking myself in, and sewing for the next three months straight without adding any new fabric to the cave, I'm sure I will continue to add to it.

These were some of the thoughts running through my head during my first day of my five day sewing weekend.  Because instead of sewing, I started with some cleaning in the sewing cave.  The last tub of books were put back onto the shelves and the last bags of fabric were opened and stored away.  Partly because I was tired of them being in the way and partly to stop me from purchasing more fabric. Hey opening a bag and putting away new/old pieces feels like fabric shopping and curbs my natural tendencies ~ hahahaha!  I also unearthed a box of fabric that I knew I had but hadn't really thought about in some time...so that went on the shelves too...and I found this awesome combo that will be used for some early spring sewing:


(a cotton jersey knit & a yellow ponte knit from the collection)


BTW, someone asked if I'd gotten any water in the sewing cave during Hurricane Sandy and the answer is no.  There was a lot of wind...a lot of wind and damage from the wind...we lost power for four days but no excessive rain so no water in the cave.  Plus I'm looking into a battery operated sump pump. It will be tied to the regular sump pump so that if the electricity goes out and we're taking on water, the battery operated sump pump will kick in.  It worked for a neighbor in the complex so that will be a home improvement project for this spring.  Gotta protect that fabric collection!

More randomness...if you liked the fabric used on the front of the Butterick 5679 color blocked dress it is available online at Mood here.




So now I'm trying to decide where to start on my sewing list. I know that I said I was going to start with the DL Jacket & Dress but my day hasn't been as uninterrupted as I originally thought it would be. I had new mattresses delivered so I sat upstairs and waited for them to arrive...can't hear much of the outside world in the sewing cave, so I'm getting a late start.

There will be sewing going on this evening, after dinner out, but I have no idea what just what yet. However, I know it will be something from my list.

...as always more later!






21 comments:

  1. I give my scraps to the local per-school. They really Ppreciate them. The kids are content to cut them up and glue them onto paper, etc.
    glad you haven't been flooded in any of the storms. I'd hate to think of all that beautiful fabric soaked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to save all my fabric scraps and eventually realized that they were never going to get used... anything less than 1/2 or even 1/4 of a yard (big enough for a facing, anyway) was just being squirreled away and then never saw the light of day again. I gave the whole lot away to various people the last time I moved, and I haven't found myself missing a single scrap since. I still save the scraps - I have a bin under my cutting table that they get thrown into - but my friends regularly dig through them and I also donate dump a lot on Freecycle :) One of my readers asked me for a big box of them over Christmas and she used the various pieces to make a little felt paperdoll set for her daughter. It was SO COOL seeing some of my fabrics being used as doll clothes. And I feel better knowing that my scraps are getting used, and not lurking in a bin for years at a time :)

    Those spring knit fabrics are so pretty! Gotta love unearthing things from your stash that you forgot about... it's like fabric shopping, except freeeee haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's it's cotton they get used in crafts and quilts... Fabric fabrics are harder.. I'm being better at only buying enought and if I get scraps,,if they cannot be facing or pockets they go to a charity ... If they are enought I will try to color block...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use scraps for pocket linings and facings, or quilts if cotton. Silk scraps can be a color blocked scarf or wrap. If you figure out what to do with knit scraps let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scraps are a problem for me too. They are currently overflowing the one fabric bin I allocated for them - a bin that could be better used for the *real* fabric, by the way! I can't throw things away because I always think there's going to be the perfect opportunity for a coordinating collar, etc. It just never happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my kids were little, my scraps were their entertainment while I sewed. They would cut and create. Now they are donated unless it is quilting cotton, then I save all of those for various projects. I like your spring fabrics. Enjoy your sewing time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I save lots of scraps because I mostly sew garments. You never know when you will need it. I save scraps of linings for pockets.They are in a big TV box in the closet. The cotton scraps I have orgainzed by color and I use for contrast facings and embellishments.They are in closed bins under the sewing table. The garment scraps get put on in another large box in the closet. If I rip something or decide to make something in similar colors, I can easily find the scraps. But it does get overwhelming when I see how much storage I have just for scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am hoping you come up with some brilliant solutions--I have the exact same problem! Sometimes I can use scraps for DGD sewing, but not too often. I am enjoying your current sewing plans--can't wait to see your next projects!

    Lynda in LV (aka teddylyn)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the new found fabrics from the collection. That will be a lovely outfit.

    Scraps - no ideas or help on that front. I rarely have scraps big enough to save. g

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it's cotton, it is going into a patchwork curtain, waistband facings and pockets. Silk can get pieced together and used as lining, jammies, or underwear. But dress and blouse level knits, there you got me as I am clueless what to do with them. Ditto for wool unless you want to stuff a dog bed with it. You can make only so many purses until you are pursed out so it will be interesting to see what others come up with

    ReplyDelete
  11. No ideas on the scraps, like some of the others here, I rarely have scraps large enough to do anything with. I loved your dress in your last post, you looked great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting - knowing that you have all that time to sew! For me, packing is a bit of a pain, but so worth the unpacking and finding all the goodies that you forgotten about!

    Enjoy your super long weekend - and may the sewing fairies be sprinkling you with lots of fabricky dust!

    Oh, and good luck with your sump pump hunt. We have an electrical, secondary one, with a battery backup hooked up to our alarm system . . . . just in case!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always have fabric scraps left because like you, I purchase fabric because I like it not necessarily because I am making something specific. I have found many projects that I find myself working on that allows me to use some of it and I also of late have been giving some away. Some I have opted to make some crazy quilts for my children cause sometimes I just need to take a break and feel like throwing a bunch of fabric together in a quilt. It is very theraputic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use my scraps for muslins. It can be a pain to cut out, because I might end up cutting from 10 different pieces of fabric in order to get all the pieces for a muslin, but it beats buying rough draft fabric and is kind of fun to make it all work (although it is sometimes distracting to look at a patchwork muslin and try to envision it in fashion fabric.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of the women's prison in my state uses leftover fabric to sew blankets for the homeless. Double-benefit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The last time I got rid of my "too big to throw away, to small to really use for sewing" scraps I offered them on Freecycle and IIRC at least eight people asked for them. I made it very clear in my offer that they were small scraps. The person I eventually gave them to was thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scraps are the bane of my existence.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I cannot imagine the scraps you have. I just started sewing again a couple of months ago and already have a basket full of large scraps (and I definitely don't even come close to sewing as much as you do).

    My daughter wants me to make her a little cat doll. I am going to use my scrap basket for that to begin with. That little cat is going to be made with some nice fabric :) Lots of wool and linen in there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love reading your blog even though I rarely comment. But scraps - big problem. I finally did toss the small scraps - but those that are a 1/4 a yard or more are really piling up. AND I'm contemplating a move in the next couple of months. I'm thinking I'll sort and put in plastic tubs with labels - out of sight, out of mind.
    Marciae

    ReplyDelete
  20. I tend to keep scraps for facings, pockets, etc., and my 3 girls like to create with them or need them for school projects. Making a crazy quilt from them all is on my bucket list....

    ReplyDelete
  21. If I can't use them for a headwrap (and I usually can) I use them for muslins or facings

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails