Saturday, September 05, 2015

A Day at The Met - China Through the Looking Glass

The one thing I love about working in and living close to New York City is that it's easy to get to the museums...and I love museums! I'd meant to see this exhibit at the end of July/beginning of August but things happened. Now that life is finally settling down, I was able to get over to the exhibit during it's last weekend.



First I can't believe how packed the museum was...probably because I don't normally wait until the very end of an exhibit to go. But it was so worth the crowds!  

It was an amazing exhibit that was so stimulating and beautiful that at certain points it made me want to cry.  The amount of craftmanship, the beauty of the garments, the way the items were displayed were so visually stimulating and touched me so deeply that I'm sad I waited until the end to see the exhibit. 

I would have loved to have gone back again to experience the awesomeness of it. I totally understand how this has been the most popular exhibit The Met has ever had.  Per this NYTimes article, there were over 775,000 visitors before we saw it.

I took loads of pictures...seriously way more than I did at the Charles James exhibit but here are just a few...

How the Exhibit opens when you enter it from the Great Hall



Loved the embroidery on this one!

There was this entire series of blue/white dresses that reminded 




This was the most amazing dress and the last one 
we saw in the exhibit.

After viewing the exhibit on the second floor and a late lunch in the museum cafeteria, we headed for the Costume Institute for the second part of the exhibit. Yes, those pictures are just from the Exhibit on the 2nd floor and it's a huge exhibit...way bigger than the Charles James Exhibit. But by then there were just so many people downstairs that we saw part of that exhibit and left.

We didn't leave the museum right away, we first headed to the gift shop where there is the most amazing section of books on Fashion and Sewing. We spent another hour there looking at books before biding the museum adieu.

It was a wonderful day and an amazing exhibit.  If you can get there before it closes - Monday is the last day - GO!

...as always more later!

21 comments:

  1. Oh how fun! I would be at the Met all the time if I lived near NYC. I can't wait to see how you interpret all this inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post. Since I live far from NYC I can only live thru this experience from your post. The exhibits you show are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How stunning! I just love blue and white stylised like that. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went on a Thursday in June and the Museum was packed. It was an amazing exhibit and I went a second time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my only regret - that I saw it so late that I can't see it again!

      Delete
  5. Great photos of the exhibit! Some really gorgeous garments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw the exhibit in August. When I got to the blue and white section, I did cry, the dresses were so beautiful. So gorgeous, you think your heart will stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the section of the exhibit that got to me too! It was just soooooo beautiful! Glad to know I wasn't alone!

      Delete
  7. How amazing to be able to see what you did see. The blue and white dresses are just beautiful... that last one you posted was, well I have no words... so pretty. I can just imagine how heavy it must be too. It doesn't look as if the person wearing it would be able to sit down though. Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this exhibit late June, it was gorgeous, and packed then. Meant to go back again but the summer flew by. Oh for another few months!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is lovely Carolyn. The blue and white dresses are gorgeous. Wonderful to live in the city with The Metropolitan to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a well curated exhibit. I saw it back in June. I'm going to see The Jacqueline de Ribes exhibit at the Met when it opens in November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri I was talking about that exhibit with my friends and couldn't remember her name - thanks for that! I want to see that exhibit too!

      Delete
    2. we are NOT missing that! i love the shot you got of the black floral tunic-- and i feel like i completely missed a few of those blue dresses. i likely would have gone again if there was time!

      Delete
  11. What beautiful dresses! You're so fortunate to live near such wonderful opportunities

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, I missed that last dress!! In fact, I think I missed an entire floor. The museum was SO crowded on the day my friend and I went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen an exhibit that crowded since I went to the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis exhibit. I missed the McQueen one - probably the only one I've missed in years!

      Delete
  13. There has been some criticism of fashion and jewelry shows at the DeYoung Museum in San Francisco - that they are not really "art". I kind of agreed until I saw the exhibit of Jean Paul Gaultier and the Art of Bulgari and was blown away! Thanks so much for sharing these photos! I am so glad you were able to see this exhibit..

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! I so wish I had seen this! I so wish the Met were more convenient for me! Thanks for sharing those pics, though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your amazing visit....I love the black 'dress' with the embroidery - it is just beautiful.
    If I ever go to NY again I want to visit the Met. Last time we were there we were on a tour which didn't allow for museum visits and had only a short time in the city coupled with a DH who would not appreciate anything like art...LOL !!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for these photos. I hope there's something just as stunning on in October too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails