Friday, March 25, 2011

Wearability Issues

 Here's an update on the wearability factor of some of my latest garments:

The Silk Tweed Straight Skirt
The skirt looked great in the morning but as the day wore on the fibers in the skirt became more and more relaxed, causing the skirt to grow in width.  Guess that was a reason to add fusible interfacing to the fabric instead of the silk organza...but oh well! It became quite loose by the end of the day and I could pinch out a good inch on either side of the skirt.  So I will just alter the skirt by taking in the side seams and I'm sure that will solve the problem.  However, the waistband was fine all day long...and why was that?  Because it was interfaced and the interfacing stabilized the fabric...see, shoulda interfaced the fabric!  *LOL*

The Gray Wool Crepe Skirt
This skirt wore very well.  It is a fuller silhouette than I normally wear...prefering a slimmer look but since this look is hot now I went with it.  It took some getting use to but the skirt wore well and I got a few compliments on the look.  I wore it to work just like it was photographed for the blog.

...and finally...

The Versace Inspired Dress & Bolero
This outfit has sat in the closet waiting for one of those all day meeting, all hands on deck, everyone in total business attire days.  That occurred this past Tuesday so it was the first wearing of this outfit...and I have to tell you it was P-E-R-F-E-C-T for the day.  The bolero & dress wore well together and was sooooo comfortable.  No fidgeting, no fussing, no adjusting...just perfect.  I got a ton of compliments on this dress because if I must say so myself it is stunning IRL because of the unexpectedness of the lace.  Even one of the senior partners told me how pretty I looked and he NEVAH compliments me...well never before!  *LOL*

The only nitpicking thing about the dress is that when I got on the bus that evening, the lining was up around my waist.  I think the combination of my raincoat and my heavy work bag constantly rubbing against my hip caused it to rise up.  This never occurred during my work day and since I've experienced this with other dresses because of my belted coat and bag...I'm not going to worry about it.  Just have to be careful about opening my coat on the bus because without the lining down in the front it looks like the original Versace dress with the sheerness...and my lady parts can be seen...I mean if you're looking HARD in that direction! *LOL*

Here is a hanger shot of how I wore the dress to work:


I hemmed the Simplicity jacket during American Idol last night so I will have pics and a review tomorrow...

...as always, more later!

12 comments:

  1. That's really yummy. Businesslike with a bit of sass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wearability is always the final test, isn't it?

    Would you consider a couple of thread chains at the side seams at the hemline on the Versace/lace dress? Even tacking a short length of narrow ribbon would work to keep the lining in place during your actual commute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really like the gray wool skirt. How do you determine the right length to hem it? I am rethinking the length of my skirts and dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a sharp looking combination. Thanks for the heads up about the wool relaxing on the skirt. I won't skip that step next time. Where are the pics with you in the suit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. BetsyV beat me to it - but here's a link to making thread chains:

    http://www.oliverands.com/blog/2010/09/thread-chain-tutorial.html

    Keep those lady parts covered! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re the silk skirt; I really never know when I should interface the entire garment; at least not until after I've worn it. I like your solution too

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were sharper than a steak knife with that versace inspired suit & bolero.... Love It. Thanks for sharing the wearability factor.

    Funny Note: I have a skirt that I really like, but in the end made the mistake of lining it with nylon-like lining material. Well wore it to work proud as a peacock.... the office was quiet as a morgue and then I heard it as I headed to the file room....swish... swish... swish.. and probably could be heard a mile away. Talk about a noisy lining...uggh One would have thought I had one of those nylon running suits on... umm yeah it was that loud. I keep telling myself to cut out the lining and just wear a slip.. but have yet to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We sew our perfectionist little hearts out but until we wear a garment a few days we really don't know if it is a success or not.

    So much can change when we have had a garment on for a few hours. Is the sleeve to tight? Is the fabric bagging out from lycra? ad nauseum. It's sort of like your children. You really don't know if you've done a decent job raising them until they hit about 35.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you on the wearability issues! I have no problem moving something on to the next owner if it is not working for me, whether fit, fabrication or style.

    So glad the Versace worked out for the most part - it looks so elegant in that navy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really appreciated this post as I agree totally with Bunny when she said " . . .until we wear a garment a few days we really don't know if it is a success or not."

    Your garments are so beautiful I tend to forget about wearability but it really is where the rubber hits the road.

    One more point, I saw this dress on the V&A website and thought it looked like something you would make.

    http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O120384/dress/

    It looks like your taste but I don't know if I can call your style accuratly inspite of waaaay to much time lurking and not enough time sewing!!!

    As always thanks for sharing your joy and craft.

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really appreciated this post as I agree totally with Bunny when she said " . . .until we wear a garment a few days we really don't know if it is a success or not."

    Your garments are so beautiful I tend to forget about wearability but it really is where the rubber hits the road.

    One more point, I saw this dress on the V&A website and thought it looked like something you would make.

    http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O120384/dress/

    It looks like your taste but I don't know if I can call your style accuratly inspite of waaaay to much time lurking and not enough time sewing!!!

    As always thanks for sharing your joy and craft.

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooops sorry about the double comment. I just got a bit overwhelmed with enthusiasm for Carolyn's garments.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails