Saturday, March 26, 2011

Saturday Evening Musings...

Just a few thoughts that have been rambling around in my brain...

~I'm scared of my NEW serger...seriously!  Everytime I start a new project I get very, very anxious because I have to change the serger thread...and I'm so anal about the serger thread matching the fashion fabric that I'm not happy when I don't match it...even if you can't see it!  I love the stitch the serger makes and the auto tension...it's just that I have to take several majorly deep breathes and walk around my apt before I can go in and change the threads on the serger.  It will get better, right!?  *LOL*
(Thanks for all the tips on how to thread my serger but I bought a new Imagine serger with the air jet threading and its the making it go whoosh that's causing the anxiety.  On my old serger, I was a pro and used all of the techniques suggested in the comments to make it work...these techniques do not work with the new serger...but thanks again for offering them!)

~I need a week off to sew.  I'm finally feeling the seasons starting to change...even tho' it is cold as heck here right now...I want to stay home with my fabric, my new patterns and my sewing machines and just make a couple of new garments so that when those soft gentle spring breezes start to flow, I'll be ready!  Plus I love sewing spring & summer dresses and skirts...

~Recently I looked at the Best of 2010 Pattern Listing on PR...it seemed to me that not alot of plus size sewists used the top ten patterns.  I wonder why?  Was it the silhouettes?  Or the styling or the pattern sizing?  Or do we plus size sewists just not use the patterns that the majority of women sew?  Just wondering...

~Went snoop shopping today...I love looking at clothing online but when you see something online you imagine it in really nice fabrics and vibrant prints...not necessarily how the manufacturer made it.  I've been gloaming on the dresses on Dress Barn's site.  I love that they are sized for plus size women, that they are in the colors and prints of the season and that they show me that I can make some of the popular silhouettes for my work wardrobe.  Well after a trip to DB today...I'm glad I can sew!  Those cheap prices are reflected in the fabric quality, the unlined or partially lined pieces and the terrible sizing.  Or maybe that's the normal sizing...the couple of dresses I tried on fit so poorly.  If they worked on the bottom they were too big on the top...or they were just too big all around!  So I will be copying a few of these looks for my summer wardrobe but in quality fabrics with full linings and in a size that will fit me!

~Fabric arrived today...yeah, yeah I know!  But Fabric Mart is having a sale - 20% off the website and they really are the right vendor for me...since they always seem to have just what I'm looking for...


You had a few questions...

BetsyV asked on "The Wearability Issues" post:
"Would you consider a couple of thread chains at the side seams at the hemline on the Versace/lace dress?"

I've tried that before and truthfully the entire dress ends up being pulled up...so when I pull off my coat the dress is up around my hind parts...not a pretty look! *LOL*  And it doesn't happen all the time with all my dresses, just in some instances when I'm wearing a coat and a heavy bag.  By leaving the lining hanging free, I have fewer issues.

JulieC asked on "The Wearability Issues" post:
"How do you determine the right length to hem it?"

The length of this skirt was determined by what's in fashion now.  Skirts are hovering around the knees in stores and this is a good look on me so I went with it.  Now I'm not making anything above my knees but a skirt at my knees and a shoe with a nice heel I have a taller, slimmer silhouette...even if the skirt is very full.

Dei asked on "The Wearability Issues" post:
"Where are the pics with you in the suit?"

I think you are referring to the Versace inspired suit and you can find them in this blog post or in my Flickr Album.

JustGail asked on the "What is it about Spring" post:
"I am wondering though, what did you make your spring sewing list on? Is that a Nook? And what did you use to create a list that looks like notebook paper with lines and margins?"

Gail - that is the basic notebook program on the iPad.  All the note pages are lined like that.  So sometimes I write out things like lists on it knowing that they won't get lost and that I can refer back to them or edit them anytime I want.

In a really old post, someone was asking about the bemberg linings and how I care for garments with the lining in them?

Anything I line, I pretty much dryclean which is most of my fall/winter wardrobe.  Many of my summer pieces, even dresses, are machine washable.  However, I have to note here that I have ALOT of clothes.  On average I've made 50 pieces for myself...each year for the last 5 years...it adds up y'know! On average my pieces are worn once maybe twice a season and with a good airing before they are placed back in the closet...that is sufficient.  This year since I primarily wore skirts this winter season, I haven't sent as many pieces to the dry cleaners, especially because I tend to dry clean my pants more frequently than any of my other garments. 

I will have pics of the finished Simplicity Jacket tomorrow...and I've started a new dress using one of the new Butterick patterns...

...more later!



11 comments:

  1. Amen on the serger.
    It scares me too.
    I always have to make sure I am on the "right side" of her.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it you don't have a serger with the air threading feature? Cause I have an older serger and I only use black serger thread. So, I either serge in black, or I don't serge. :D

    I just went and looked over the "best patterns of 2010." I agree, most of those patterns I would never use. I have two of the top patterns but haven't sewn them yet.

    Like you, FM is the best. Those fabrics look so nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rather than thread from scratch each time, have you considered tying on the new thread and pulling them through. You will need to loosen the tensions to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto what LindaNan said! I've done that and never had any problems with changing thread. It's really easy. Just clip the threads down near the cone. Out your new cones/spools on the serger. Tie each new threa to the tail of the old thread. Loosen your tensions all the way. Pull the threads through. Cut the knots off and thread the needles. Return the tensions to normal. Ready to serge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always do as LindaNan and Becky, just tie them off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tie the new threads to the old ones, but it never occurred to me to loosen the tensions and pull through. I just run the serger until the new top threads are near the needle, then cut the knots and thread the needles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty fabric! I really like the white and turquoise flowered piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you about the serger and I have never been able to make the tie off work but I hadn't loosened the tension so I will try that. However, I am not anal about matching thread, I go for an amalgamation of threads that end up looking neutral, but I am way lazier than you. Thanks for the tip on Dress Barn.

    My thought about the best of was that I am not sure about wrap dresses for my figure. I need to find a way to de-emphasize my belly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Forgot to say, the knots will pull through the loopers. Only the needle thread knots need to be cut and threaded by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got an imagine as well. My shop gave me a quickie lesson in threading it and the key to threading the air jet way is to get enough thread down in that tiny hole to whoosh it through. I have also learned that you can 'whoosh' more than once to get the thread all the way through.

    Personally, I'm having a tougher time getting the auto-threader for the needle. So far, it's easier for me to thread the needle(s) by hand.

    Good luck!

    Melissa in FL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Re: the whoosh threading

    Are you sticking at least a inch of thread into the ports before you whoosh? The more thread that goes into the port, the better the whooshing works.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails