Monday, March 31, 2008

Transitional Sewing

Yes, this transitional sewing plan happens twice a year...between summer and fall and between winter and spring. Since it's the time of year between winter and spring, and even though I am already thinking about wonderfully colored summer dresses in light and airy fabrics...the reality is that it is going to take a minute to get that warm here in the Northeast.

So every year I add several pantsuits to my list for both transitional periods...every year I get maybe one made. Which I then precede to wear into the dirt so that I end up right back where I started. And this year is no exception, 'cause there are two pantsuits on my transitional sewing list!



eta: In the interest of full disclosure - I made this suit last year! But it is the type of suit that I will be making for my transitional wardrobe. Don't want anyone thinking that this is something new! :)

Now I'm sure you are wondering why even make up a transitional sewing list? Well because I LIKE new clothes and you need something, you really do, for those slightly chilly yet beginning to get warmer days...and I am TIRED of my winter clothes! Aren't you?

So without further ado, here is my sewing list:

1. Make vanilla silk twill lined straight skirt to coordinate with Easter Suit jacket.

2. Chocolate brown/pink pinstripe pantsuit (already cut out from last fall - just waiting to be stitched). Make SW Mission Tank from pink silk crepe.

3. Pink cotton twinset - using Burda OOP cardigan & SW Mission Tank with tie.

4. Black ltwt gabardine pinstripe pantsuit - using V7944 and made exactly like the brown suit in the photo.

5. Brown cotton eyelet from Gorgeous Things in Tamotsu dress sleeveless with white piping. Make a white cotton shrug type sweater to wear with...

And that's my transitional list - short, sweet and hopefully doable. I am learning not to pile the entire world on it! *LOL* In the hopes of actually finishing all of the garments on the list.

So what about you? Are you sewing things for a transitional period or are you going full steam ahead into spring/summer? Or do you even have a transitional period? And for my friends on the other side of the world - how does this work for you? Do you transition or do you slide into a season full-tilt?

Now that the weekend from home dec hell is over - which btw I did not sew a thing! I gave in and purchased a lot of stuff!!! And even that made me feel like I was going to break out in hives! I will be working on my list and getting some things made!

18 comments:

  1. You look fantastic!!! I seem to be forgetting all about Spring and diving straight into summer! I just finished another sleevless dress and a simple A-Line skirt! LOL. I will have to plan for some transitional pieces before fall! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your planning - and the outfit you are waring in the photo! Well I am in Hong Kong and every year the hot humid summer seems to catch me out. I find it hard to make summer clothes when I am cold and vice versa so versatile easy separates that can work most of the year round are what I like to sew the most. You could almost call this transitional sewing I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the outfit! The blouse really makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always scrambling this time of year to figure out what to wear. We really don't have much of a spring or fall here, so I'm never prepared for this time of year. We seem to go from wool coats to tank tops in a matter of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your suit is amazing, i love those colors and textures. I am sewing summer clothes, my wardrobe for spring is all about layers, light shirts with cardigans or cropped jackets that can be pulled off if it gets hot in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WE are going into winter, but it doesn't get that cold here in Melbourne. Yes some days have a cold antartic blast...brrr...but then the next day could be quite mild. So I wear my work gear all year round. I would like some casual jackets ( for weekends etc) to wear in the mornings when it is a bit chilly this time of year. Had better put that on my transitional list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The transition usually is from summer to autumn/winter here in FL. No true winter so autumn clothes take me into spring. And then it's full-out summer, which is where I am just about now. I'd really like more jackets in my wardrobe for autumn/winter but I usually only manage about 1 per year and then it's summer again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not much in the way of transitional here either. We'll have just a few weeks of beautiful weather here that I would consider good summer weather - 70's-80, then all of a sudden it's so hot that you just go from air conditioning to air conditioning, and that lasts til October.
    This year I've got a jump on hot summer because of my Carib wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems like around here, spring only lasts 3 weeks - it goes from freezing cold to smokin' hot in no time. Each year, I have plans to make a spring coat and then it gets hot too fast and I shelve the project. But, maybe this is the year of the spring jacket...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute pantsuit and great job on the sewing. Our spring usually lasts a few weeks and I just skip spring sewing for summer. Now this year, I think spring has forgotten us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carolyn, you are so gorgeous in your new outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep - in Upstate New York, you definitely need transition pieces because it might be 75 when you leave work...but it was 35-40 when you left home that morning. I'm in the middle of making a matching safari jacket and skirt out of stretch twill from Gorgeoud Fabrics, a couple of coordinating tops and a coordinating print dress(I have not found fabric for that yet).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amen, sister! I am *so* tired of winter clothes. Layers and transitional clothes are very important here in New England. I love your new ideas - they definitely will span the seasons and not be boring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm currently working on my spring/summer wadrobe inspired by Carolina Herrera. I think everyone whether you sew or not needs transitional clothing. New things always make me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your suit! It looks fantastic! It is time for transitional clothing ... I need to work on that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great transitional sewing list. I've never thought about a transitional wardrobe. I guess, since I'm such a suit person, I just shed the coat and sport the suits. But I like the idea and could use some couture sewn suits... mmm my brain is brewing...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In Louisiana, we really only have 2 seasons: hot and not-so-hot. As a SAHM, my wardrobe is extrememly casual. I love 3/4 sleeves for Nov to Mar. The rest of the year, it's short sleeves. For days when it starts at 40 degrees and ends in the 80s, well, I just turn to the denim jacket. All that to say, I really don't need a transitional wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look terrific in that brown suit!

    Like you, I am currently making plans for a transitional wardrobe *included* in my spring/summer project list; I'm favoring pant suits (I have a ivory patrones pant suit in mind, just TDF, plus a jacket using the same fabric used for some pants I made three years ago; you've seen the jacket's model already: it's a BWOF pattern for which I'll be using the large squared mother of pearl buttons I got from Laura; and it's in progress right now, I'm thread tracing it!).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails