While finishing up The Whitney Dress, I spent some time thinking about what pattern alterations I would need to make to my TNT dress pattern to make my idea work. At first I thought I would just find a shawl collar from another pattern, trace the pattern pieces out and add it to the dress front. Especially since I really want to preserve the zipper application in the front of the dress.
Then Sheila left a comment about using a shawl collar on a dress that didn't work for her and it made me rethink my original idea. It wouldn't work because the collar would be flat and it probably wouldn't lay right. So I spent some time digging through my considerable pattern collection to find some jacket patterns with shawl collars. I figured I could add the collar pieces to my TNT dress pattern.
By looking at the pattern pieces for the shawl collar it made me realize that I needed the under collar to be an extension of the dress front...this meant that some serious pattern alterations needed to be done to my dress front pattern. It also meant that I would have to have a top collar facing piece for the dress. This was turning into a much more complicated pattern alteration than I'd originally envisioned when I decided I had to have a version of this dress.
But I preservered because I really wanted the dress. I finally found an out-of-print McCalls pattern that had a shawl collar on a coat dress that I could use to make my version of the McQueen dress. And after looking at the pattern pieces and reading the pattern instructions, I was ready to work on the pattern alterations.
I started by making my pattern sandwich...my TNT pattern piece, then the shawl collar pattern piece and finally the pattern paper to use to trace a new pattern on top of it. Here's what I came up with...
The back dress pattern piece didn't need any modifications except that I needed to make a new back facing piece. All of these facing pieces will have to be added to my lining pieces...more alterations...*sigh*
Anyway, I've started working on The McQueen Dress and this is going to be a complicated kinda project...even though I didn't think it would be when I first saw the dress. As always when making alterations to my TNT pattern, I'm worried that they won't work...
...so stay tuned cause this is definitely going to be an adventure!