Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Butterick 5598 - Pattern Alterations

I mentioned a couple of posts back that I want to spend spring sewing some of the new patterns I've purchased...especially since I was really impressed with the variety of patterns that Butterick recently produced for plus size sewists.  For my first foray into transitional spring/summer sewing, I've really been aching to make this dress:


I love that it's on trend...that it has an a-line skirt...some pockets and I'm also loving the tie belt and button placement...well almost all of the button placement.  I've decided to leave the top two buttons off.

So it was with some trepidation that I pulled the pattern sheets from the envelope.  I mean I don't use alot of new patterns.  Every once in awhile something will strike my fancy and I'm willing to make the fit and pattern alteration journey.  However, I was pleasantly surprised with this pattern.  Because based upon the finished body measurements for a size 24, I would need to make very few pattern alterations.

Since there are no sleeves, I don't have to make a bicep alteration.  Since the dress skirt is flared with extra ease built into it, I don't have to enlarge the skirt to make room for my abdomen and bottom.  After placing the front pattern piece to my body and standing in the mirror to see how it fell, I determined that I only needed to lower the waistline because it's 2" too high.  So that was the major alteration I made to the pattern pieces.  The front and back pieces, as well as the front side & back side pieces were all lengthened by 2". 


I also made a note on the hemline of all the pieces to cut them out with an additional inch added to the hemline...and that's it.  That's all the alterations I made to this pattern.

 
Now there is an interesting design feature to this dress that you can't see in the line drawings or the pictures of the dress worn by the model. What I thought were seam lines in the front and back of the dress are actually tucks.  


These tucks bring the fabric closer to the body at the waistline then gently releases it into the skirt.  An interesting detail that was somehow omitted from the fashion drawings.

I've picked fabric (a Ralph Lauren tan tropical wool purchased from Fabric Mart), buttons (tortoise-shell like buttons - 10 not 12 as the pattern suggests) and a nutmeg bemberg rayon lining for the dress.


This weekend I will cut the fabric and begin construction...so stay tuned because I know this is going to be an adventure! *LOL*

...more later!

15 comments:

  1. I like this pattern too. I look forward to seeing it all made up. What a nice surprise that you don't need as many alterations as you thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the pattern too. Can't wait to see your finished dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is going to look great on you, I think the design line compliment "our" curvy body type and you know what, I was thinking of using this dress pattern to make the safari jacket that is "everywhere", I wonder it it will work

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got that pattern last week I love how the dress looks! I can't wait to see your finished dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pattern. Very yummy-looking fabric. This just has to be a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, they're bringing back some of the nicer features of some vintage dresses-my grandmother had several patterns that did this, and the lack of a seam really does reduce bulk and give it a soft fullness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo!!! Another sewing adventure with Carolyn. Can't wait to see the finished dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. cant wait to see you in it, because it's insppring me to make one too! I have to do alot of the same alterations you do ( bicep, hips, belly) so if you recommend this then it's a good thing for me too. In fact, I learned how to do bicep alterations from your blog, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh...I can't wait to see this done up. I love that little extra with the tucks there. Those make such a difference in the shape. I haven't bought this pattern yet but just might.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is going to be a good one. Those little tucks are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sew faster than I can keep up with your blog! Very impressed, and, it is motivating me to sew faster.
    Am I the only one who thinks Carolyn is whipping out one fantastic garment every other day?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to see what the finished dress looks like! I also bought this pattern and would be thrilled if I didn't have to do a ton of adjustments to it....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooo.. can't wait to see it finished! I'm itching to make that pattern, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a RTW dress that is very similar and it is actually quite flattering on my less-than-flattering parts. Looking forward to seeing your version...might have to pick up the pattern, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have that pattern too and looking forward to your version.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails